Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Photography Equipments

Subject Topic: Fisheye lens or attachment? Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by DexterWalker on September-10-2007 at 9:15am
View DexterWalker's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by DexterWalker Search   Quote DexterWalker Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
DexterWalker
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
September-05-2007
23 Posts
I have a Nikon D200 and i want to do 180 and 360 panos. The only lens i have is a 50mm f1.4.

I need to know whether to go for a new fisheye lens like a Sigma (but not sure on focal length needed - would it be 8mm or 15mm?)

Or, should i go for a fish eye attachment to go on the front of my 50mm f1.4 lens?

What are the pros and cons of both methods, and what are my options?

Do you have any examples i could see with similar bits of kit?

Thanks.

Message posted by 360texas on September-10-2007 at 10:09am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Not possible with Panoweaver and 50mm

To use Panoweaver you need to use a fisheye lens like a Nikkor 10.5.  This will requre 6 images around +1 UP zenith and +1 DOWN Nadir image total 8.  OR

Sigma 8mm f/3.5  with a Nikon Mount. 4 images around optional +2 1up/1down

See also discussion:

http://www.easypano.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=10&TopicID=3293&PagePosition=1&get=last#18938

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by smooth on September-10-2007 at 12:20pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Forget attachments as they are all rubbish and never offer any decent quality.

Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye

Sigma 8mm Fisheye

Tokina 10-17mm Zoom Fisheye

are all worth your money.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by DexterWalker on September-14-2007 at 8:52pm
View DexterWalker's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by DexterWalker Search   Quote DexterWalker Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
DexterWalker
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
September-05-2007
23 Posts
Thanks Smooth and 360Texas. Need to check my finances and then make decision. Once again, many thanks!

Message posted by zxcvbnm on September-16-2007 at 4:22am
View zxcvbnm's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by zxcvbnm Search   Quote zxcvbnm Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
zxcvbnm
Gold Member
Gold Member

September-16-2005
156 Posts
Always the option of a peleng 8mm for the cheapskates, sharp if basic. Look on ebay.

http://timhatch.com/projects/wwp-equipment/
has examples of virtually every equipment combination at their best from the world wide panorama exhibition.

Message posted by DexterWalker on September-17-2007 at 1:46pm
DexterWalker
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
September-05-2007
23 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by zxcvbnm on September-16-2007Always the option of a peleng 8mm for the cheapskates, sharp if basic. Look on ebay.

http://timhatch.com/projects/wwp-equipment/
has examples of virtually every equipment combination at their best from the world wide panorama exhibition.

Thanks, not sure if i want to fall into the cheapskate category (!) i'm after something cheap though if the quality is severely sacrificed then i'm willing to spend out a little more.

I was speaking to someone about the two fish eye lenses, Nikkor and Sigma. And they said the Nikkor's quality was so much better. Would it be a waste of time for me to get the Sigma 8mm?

I want sharp pictures really and i want to operate professionally so is there a great difference between the two?

Thanks all of you (again) for the help.

Message posted by smooth on September-17-2007 at 2:17pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

It's all relevant.

The Nikkor 10.5mm is sharper than the Sigma 8mm (by a little) but you shoot 6+TB to cover a sphere. Where as the Sigma 8mm can cover the same in 4 shots with a little clone/patch/heal on the tiny zenith star.

The Peleng is a budget lens that can produce some good results "IF" you get a good one "IF" you can live without camera auto focus and "IF" you shoot to avoid it's sun flare disadvantages.

People who say the Nikkor is "much" sharper are kidding themselves with what is relevant to Internet display. It's better but not HUGE and really for the extra work...... (6+TB vs 4 shots) Make up your own mind!

Owning a Nikon DSLR already the Nikkor 10.5mm could very well be the best solution for you.

Remember this: Just because you see or a pointed to some panorama images shot with a particular camera/lens combination doesn't mean these will be the results for you just because you spend the money buying them! There is way more to it then just dollars. Photography skill, processing skill and optimizing all come into play.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by DexterWalker on September-20-2007 at 12:38pm
DexterWalker
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
September-05-2007
23 Posts
Thanks Smooth

By the way, what does 'TB' stand for?

Message posted by smooth on September-20-2007 at 1:03pm
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

TB = Top and Bottom Shots. You will also here these called Zenith and Nadir or Ceiling and Floor, Up and Down shots. Easypano choose to call them Top and Bottom.

Regards, Smooth 

Message posted by 360texas on September-20-2007 at 6:21pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Agreed.  Sometimes use of terms is confusing.  Write down on piece of paper..

All horizon images = all images taken around the horizon

Zenith image taken at 90 degrees UP from the horizon. 

Nadir image taken at 90 degrees DOWN from the horizon.

Hope this helps

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register