Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Photography Equipments

Subject Topic: Good lighting with pano photography Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by jsaumi on October-16-2007 at 4:39pm
View jsaumi's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by jsaumi Search   Quote jsaumi Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
jsaumi
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
October-16-2007
2 Posts
I am shooting a rebel xti with Sigma 8mm. I shoot 6 images in portrait mode so I can get better floor to ceiling range. I'm very happy with the setup, but bad lighting is really getting me worked up. I'm not much of a photographer, but trying real hard. The Problem is really two-fold:

1. If there is a large window in the shot and a good bit of light coming through, the only way to get a half decent image is to use my flash (canon550ex with very large 360 diffuser). However, the image surrounding the window is often still dark. or the flash is unbalance.

2. If I use a flash on the windows and I don't use the flash on other areas, the white balance is off (even if I try to adjust for it). Also, the flash often isn't powerful enough to give me even lighting in rooms with vaulted ceilings etc.

So, the question is to flash, or not to flash. And either way, how? If there are any of you who have found the secrets to great lighting that so elude me, I sure would appreciate the help.

Message posted by vilmer on October-16-2007 at 8:59pm
View vilmer's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by vilmer Search   Visit vilmer's Homepage www   Quote vilmer Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
vilmer
Gold Member
Gold Member

April-08-2006
218 Posts
Sky, Caps lock day is next week, the 22nd october

-------------

Message posted by jsaumi on October-17-2007 at 3:49pm
View jsaumi's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by jsaumi Search   Quote jsaumi Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
jsaumi
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
October-16-2007
2 Posts
Thanks sky 360, I've fooled around a little with the panoweaver bracketing as well as shooting RAW images. When it all comes down to it, we might have to go that route. My only problem is the extra time it takes.

Message posted by pixelator on October-17-2007 at 5:41pm
View pixelator's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by pixelator Search   Visit pixelator's Homepage www   Quote pixelator Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts

@jsaumi,

You should not even have your flash (550EX) aboard your Rebel while shooting panos.

Every thing is done in manual mode.  Set your dial atop the Rebel to Av.  Go into your menu and set bracket exposure to +2......-2.  Shoot RAW!  Even though you may think it is a little extra work, it really is not (if you want quality shots).

Each stop now will yield 3 images... 12 images to go around 360.  Look into Photomatix for your three shots at normal exposure, under and over.  Merge the images and you now have an image without blown windows

I am sure this topic can be found over and over using the search.

Good luck to ya,

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register