Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Photography Equipments
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: still images - can I do it? Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Wide-Eyes on April-17-2008 at 4:31am
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts
Hello everybody.

A new client just told me that they most likely also want still images when I do a tour of their hotel.
But..... can I do it my self?
The only photography experience I have is doing panoramas shooting bracketed images with my fish eye. I have no idea what it takes to shoot "normal" still images.

Sure I can buy a canon 17-40mm for my lense, mount it on my tripod and shoot a couple of images. But I know nothing about the composition, and I have no idea how to handle the lightning.

What do you guys think? Should I say no, or should it be a possible for me to make an acceptable result? And if so.... how do I go about it?

Best regards
Morten

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen
- a newbie trying to improve

Message posted by pixelator on April-17-2008 at 8:22am
View pixelator's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by pixelator Search   Visit pixelator's Homepage www   Quote pixelator Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts
Hello Wide-Eyes,

If you can shoot a home interior pano, you most certainly can shoot a still! You are already experienced in all the challenges that you will be faced with. Should you do a google search for "photographing home interiors" one of the first links is

Ken Rockwell

While I do not agree with his not shooting RAW and leaving the camera white balance in auto, you will find that you are already doing many of these techniques in your pano shooting.

The only photography experience that I had when my daughter was born last year was shooting panos as well. When we took her to the local portrait studio at the age of three months, I knew then I needed to start learning how to shoot in the studio.

I came home that very day and ordered my lighting I converted my bonus room into a studio

I knew absolutely nothing about portraiture photography. I spent a lot of time reading forums and learning. I know that I am no professional portraiture photographer but really enjoy the time in the studio with my daughter.

Example

Example

Example

Fisheye In The Studio Example

Bottom line is, YOU CAN DO IT!

Good luck to you Wide-Eyes,
p

Message posted by 360texas on April-17-2008 at 10:16am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts
Hmm,  for the price of a new lens, you could buy a reasonably high mega pixel point and shoot as your second camera for still images.  We use a Canon A640.  That one fits in my shirt pocket and uses a SD compact flash.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by smooth on April-17-2008 at 11:07am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Pixel,

Nice job mate, good to see some of your studio work. Very nice

Your daughter is a cutie, as most girls are at that age.

Can't say I'm a fan of the Ken Rockwell site , there is a lot of mis-information mixed in with his own weird ideas. Still, it's not all rubbish! But Joe Average I feel will not know where the line is. Like anything, glean what you can from it and then look for "proof" of concept elsewhere "just to be sure".

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by pixelator on April-17-2008 at 3:15pm
View pixelator's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by pixelator Search   Visit pixelator's Homepage www   Quote pixelator Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts

Thanks Smooth,

I still have a "whole lot" to learn in the studio...whole different type of photography.  Thank goodness she gets her looks from mommy

I will have to agree with you about the Ken Rockwell site however, little one was waking up just as I started my post, so I had to be pretty quick about it.  He does have a good spot on google search with his meta tags, guess I will have to give him that.

Did not intend to high jack your thread Wide-eyes, just wanted to show how determination, practice and reading forums can help you achieve your goals.  Seriously, you know how to shoot panos and blend....a still image will be a walk in the park for you. 

Starting out, I would suggest taking along another lens or perhaps renting a lens on your next pano shoot.  Shoot the still just as you do your pano.  By this I mean leave the same camera settings, bracket exposure, etc.  Post process just as you would a pano...post the results for critique and your on your way.

Again best of luck to you,
p

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on April-20-2008 at 9:31am
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts
Hi Pixel

Congratulation. I am not the most qualified to evaluate protrait photographers, but your images are excellent. It's amazing what you have accomplished in just one year.
The quality is (with my eyes) excellent, but what I love even more is the composition. It's how you catch your daughter in just the right moment, and that gives your images the right edge that makes them better the so many others.

Thanks for the pep talk. Yes I Can Do It. Perhaps it won't be perfect the first time, but I'll quickly pick up on it.

Now I just have to convince the client that they really need stills as well :)

Best regards
Morten

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen

Message posted by pixelator on April-20-2008 at 10:58am
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts
Thanks for the complements Wide-Eyes!

I was giving this thread a bit more thought this morning, as I was working on my latest pano job.

Open your latest pano job, do your post processing as you normally do...look at the image...are you happy with the results? Now on your next shoot simply switch out the fisheye lens with with a regular. You should now get the same exact results and you have stills to sell

Be sure to let us see the reults,
p

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on April-29-2008 at 4:47am
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts
Well........

Now a client have acutally ordered stills. 10 to be exact.

It is both exiting and frightening

But the shoot is not before ultimo may, so I've just ordered the lense, and now have to practice a bit.

Thanks for the encouragement :)

Regards
Morten

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on April-29-2008 at 5:39am
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts
Well........... Now everything is just crazy. One more client have just ordered stills as well. How great is that????

But it is in just 14 days. So if any of you can share links to web sites with photo-techniques and good galleries I can use as an inspiration I will be very greatfull.

Best regards
Morten

p.s. a campaign I have launched have finally started paying off. I now have 5 hotels to shoot in the next 1 1/2 month.

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register