Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Photography Equipments

Subject Topic: Canon 350D (rebel) underexposed grain [:( Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by pixelator on April-20-2008 at 11:09am
View pixelator's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by pixelator Search   Visit pixelator's Homepage www   Quote pixelator Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts
My Canon 350D (rebel) has let me down. I have tried to correct the images best that I could to use in the tour, as the location is 2 hours away. I have uploaded my .CR2 files on my server if someone can have a look. I was going to take the funds from this job to upgrade to the 40D but would like to keep the 350D for backup.

So if anyone has had this issue, what does it take to fix it?

.CR2 Link 1

.CR2 Link 2

.CR2 Link 3

best i could salvage

Thanks,
p

Message posted by pixelator on May-20-2008 at 6:45pm
View pixelator's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by pixelator Search   Visit pixelator's Homepage www   Quote pixelator Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts

I now have to go re-shoot two rooms of my latest project because of this issue.

Latest Project

You can see what I am talking about on the leather chair closest to the wall of windows in the Living Room.  It also shows up on the wall with the windows as well as the couch.

Will all under exposed images do this? Or is there something wrong with my camera?

Thanks,
pixel

Message posted by Vince on May-20-2008 at 9:15pm
View Vince's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Vince Search   Quote Vince Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Vince
Gold Member
Gold Member

August-13-2007
194 Posts
I see it, but it doesn't bother me all that much. That being said, I know these things can be like a missing tooth: you want to ignore it, but there is no way you can! What About opining the pano in PS and using the burn tool to darken those areas a bit? I may be wrong, and that may not work on all the images, but the chairs look a little "washed out" to me, like the leather should be darker. I know that doesn't solve the problem, but if it "fixes it" until you find the solution, it might be worth a try.

Message posted by pixelator on May-21-2008 at 5:07pm
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts

Thanks Vince for the comments.

It is a whole lot like a missing tooth and with me there is no way to ignore it.  The cutomer paid for a quality pano and that is what I intend to provide (best to my abilities that is)

As far as leather looking washed out, it may be due to the photomatix and merging the 3 photos.  I used the details enhancer and tried to produce an image that did not look HDRish or I guess I should say IDRish.

I posted on another forum as well to see if it was a defect in the camera.  It appears to be the shooter.  I need a slower shutter speed for the room itself then use that with the one decent underexposed shot for the windows.  I am just not sure how it is going to affect my blending ?

The topic can be found HERE

Still going to update my camera though   I really want the 5D but have an EF-S 17-85 IS that I will no longer be able to use.  Should I go with the 40D I would still be able to use this lens.  Unless someone here is interested in buying a EF-S 17-85 IS lens that has not hardly been used?

Regards,
pixel

Message posted by Vince on May-21-2008 at 6:02pm
View Vince's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Vince Search   Quote Vince Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Vince
Gold Member
Gold Member

August-13-2007
194 Posts
Hi Pixel,
I looked at the other thread and have to agree, the image #3 should be at least 2 and maybe evan 4 stops brighter. As for the using flash, I have used flash only in the past, and am now experimenting with a flash / blend combination. It has it's own challenges, when I get things worked out, I'll let you know what I find.
Vince

Message posted by realtor jerry on May-21-2008 at 7:38pm
View realtor jerry's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by realtor jerry Search   Visit realtor jerry's Homepage www   Quote realtor jerry Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
realtor jerry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
April-22-2007
880 Posts
Hi Pixelator, I see what appears to be a line in the chair. When you merged in Photomatix did you check the 360 box?

-------------
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!

Message posted by pixelator on May-21-2008 at 8:07pm
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vince on May-21-2008Hi Pixel,I have used flash only in the past, and am now experimenting with a flash / blend combination. It has it's own challenges, when I get things worked out, I'll let you know what I find.Vince

Hey Vince,
Sounds like another step that I would like to avoid if at all possible. I do have 2 alien bee AB800s but really would like to avoid getting into flash panos. I think that I can achieve the results I am looking for by adjusting a longer shutter speed. I am looking forward to seeing your flash results though. If it does help I may think about packing my bees along for a test run. Be sure to post your results

Thanks,

pixel

Quote:
Originally posted by realtor jerry on May-21-2008Hi Pixelator, I see what appears to be a line in the chair. When you merged in Photomatix did you check the 360 box?

Hey Jerry,The line in the chair is due to my WAY UNDEREXPOSED shot facing the windows. If you underexpose an image as badly as I did it will create unbelievable noise. What happened with the chair is that I used the only image that I could salvage and it is showing the noise in part of the chair along with most of the couch as well as the wall. You don't have to look very close to see it....YUK!
As far as Photomatix goes, I have the box for 360 image but it is grayed out and unavailable for me to check it? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

pixel

Message posted by realtor jerry on May-21-2008 at 9:18pm
View realtor jerry's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by realtor jerry Search   Visit realtor jerry's Homepage www   Quote realtor jerry Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
realtor jerry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
April-22-2007
880 Posts
I thought mine was grayed out as well but I think it's just the color they have used. Try checking the box and see if it will work.

-------------
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register