Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Photography Equipments
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: What ISO to use?? Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by realtor jerry on May-27-2008 at 7:16pm
View realtor jerry's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by realtor jerry Search   Visit realtor jerry's Homepage www   Quote realtor jerry Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
realtor jerry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
April-22-2007
880 Posts
I have been using the AUTO setting for my ISO. I am trying to go totally manual and was wondering what ISO I should use for interior and exterior shots. Is there a rule of thumb of just trial and error??
Thanks, trying to learn as much as I can before I move up to the Nikon D300.

-------------
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!

Message posted by Thatone1785 on May-28-2008 at 1:46pm
View Thatone1785's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Thatone1785 Search   Visit Thatone1785's Homepage www   Quote Thatone1785 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Thatone1785
Gold Member
Gold Member
United States
June-10-2006
154 Posts
Generally speaking, lower ISO = better image quality. For shooting panos, 100 or 200 will be best. However, newer high-end DSLRs have come a long way in reducing image noise with higher ISO. If you are shooting still shots with a flash, 800 ISO is fine.

Know your camera - Set it up on a tripod and take the same shot with all the ISO settings on you camera... Look to see where the quality starts dropping off and there you go.

Message posted by realtor jerry on May-28-2008 at 2:03pm
View realtor jerry's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by realtor jerry Search   Visit realtor jerry's Homepage www   Quote realtor jerry Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
realtor jerry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
April-22-2007
880 Posts
Thanks, I used 50 on my last tour and the panos seemed to be some what grainy, but the stills came out beautiful. I just did another tour and used 200, I'll see how that comes out. I never use a flash with any of my work.

-------------
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

Message posted by 360texas on May-29-2008 at 1:35pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts
On my Canon 5d  I can set the ISO to 50 for no noise which relates to better image quality.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by tbrusson on May-29-2008 at 2:53pm
View tbrusson's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by tbrusson Search   Quote tbrusson Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
tbrusson
Gold Member
Gold Member
France
October-23-2006
164 Posts
it should be noted that the IS0 50 on the canon eos 5D can only be enabled if you extend the iso possibilites using the menu (it mean you can go from iso 50 to 3200 otherwise the iso starts at 100)

Message posted by realtor jerry on May-29-2008 at 8:44pm
realtor jerry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
April-22-2007
880 Posts
Thanks I'll go back and try 50 again. The tour I shot at 200 had the same grainy problem. Not sure what the problem is. Hope to get the D300 soon.

-------------

Message posted by pixelator on May-30-2008 at 8:22am
View pixelator's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by pixelator Search   Visit pixelator's Homepage www   Quote pixelator Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by realtor jerry on May-29-2008
Thanks I'll go back and try 50 again. The tour I shot at 200 had the same grainy problem. Not sure what the problem is. Hope to get the D300 soon.

Jerry,
I shoot with the lowest ISO setting I can with the Canon 350D, which is 100. Can you post an image of the ISO 200 shot so that we can see? Is the noise coming from an underexposed shot? I recently had a shot loaded with grain/noise and found it was due to an extremely underexposed shot.
Thread Can Be Seen Here

Just a thought
pixel

Message posted by realtor jerry on May-30-2008 at 9:28am
realtor jerry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
April-22-2007
880 Posts

Here is the link to the tour I did at 50 ISO.
This is the link to the tour at 200 ISO.
In both of these tours all the pano's and stills are at the stated ISO's and each pano and still is a bracket of 5 shots at 1EV intervals. All pano's are 3k x 1500 except the first one to load which is at 2k x1k to make it load a litte faster.
I know for the price I charge, $100 for in-house agents, they are getting a great deal but I would like to do better.
Any help and advice is appreciated.

-------------

Message posted by Peanut on June-18-2008 at 2:29am
View Peanut's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Peanut Search   Quote Peanut Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Peanut
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
March-01-2008
46 Posts
I have found the D300 is excellent at up to 800ASA showing very little noise. However if you are shooting interiors on a tripod there is no need to move away from 200ASA unless you were getting very long exposure times - like several seconds.  If that the case I'd kick it up a notch to 400ASA and if that's not enough then go to 800ASA. There is almost no need to go below 200ASA. The AUTO ISO setting should not be used. Think about buying Thom Hogan's 700+ page ebook on the D300 - well worth it. Go to www.bythom.com

Message posted by Peanut on June-18-2008 at 2:43am
View Peanut's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Peanut Search   Quote Peanut Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Peanut
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
March-01-2008
46 Posts

Another thought Jerry is to buy Neat Image for noise reduction. Can be used as a Photoshop plug-in.  Noise builds up quickly in HDR images and that might be what you are seeing. Could you not get away with 3 exposures each 2EV apart instead of 5 1EV apart? Do you shoot in RAW format?

If $100 is for all 5 tours of a property then that seems very low for the amout of time involved.

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register