Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Photography Equipments
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: 360 Newbe with starter questions Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by CDG2008 on June-18-2008 at 1:03pm
View CDG2008's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by CDG2008 Search   Visit CDG2008's Homepage www   Quote CDG2008 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
CDG2008
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
June-18-2008
6 Posts
I shot these photos with my Nikon D50/Sigma 8mm Fisheye lens/Kaidan QuickPan rotator on a Manfroto tripod.

The house lacked some lighting and I shot them with a setting of ISO200 with f4.

The photos came out quite dark and changing the settings the photos came out with a lot of grain or digital noise.

Any suggestions?

View photos.
http://cleardesigngraphics.com/forum.html

Message posted by 360texas on June-18-2008 at 1:56pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Hi CDG,  welcome to the forum

hmm  yes I can see the noise.

Noise is a function of the sensor.  The lower ISO the better.  The Canon 5d has an ISO 50.

Sigma 8mm f/3.5 recommend f/8  and Av aperature priority let the shutter speed determine the proper exposure.   OR.. use f/8 and average the metering shutter speeds at the 4 click stop locations.. then enter the average shutter speed  value in manual mode.

You can also try auto exposure value bracketing (AEB) say.. EV -2,0,+2 then use some software like Panoweaver 5 or HDRsoft Photomatix.  That might remove some of the noise presents.

IF you shoot RAW, I think Photoshop CS3  Adobe Camera Raw 4.4.1 converter has some color noise reduction functions.  AND you can also remove the Sigma 8mm chromatic abberation.  digital images are red/green blue.  The red layer sometimes is off set by 1 or 2 pixels.  Adjusting the red layer so that ALL RGB pixels line up properly makes the image sharper.

Noiseninja removes excessive noise.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by pixelator on June-18-2008 at 4:13pm
View pixelator's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by pixelator Search   Visit pixelator's Homepage www   Quote pixelator Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts
Hey CDG2008,

Good talking with you today. I do hope with what we spoke about along with Dave's response will get you headed in the right direction. As you noted, I had this same problem. I will go ahead and add to this with what we discussed over the phone. A severely underexposed image will create HUGE AMOUNTS of noise. I would suggest going back to the property and re-shooting with the setup that Dave has provided. Also, remember to set the focus ring on the sigma 8mm to the figure 8 (infinity) setting as we discussed on the phone. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need further help.

bp

Message posted by CDG2008 on June-18-2008 at 5:58pm
View CDG2008's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by CDG2008 Search   Visit CDG2008's Homepage www   Quote CDG2008 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
CDG2008
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
June-18-2008
6 Posts
I actually talked to pixelator earlier today and yes, I agree that I need to try either bracketing or the higher shutter speed.

I tried using Itellishapen and it helped a bit but the color is still off. I found it better to use vs. noise noiseninja.

Incase your interested, look at http://www.fredmiranda.com/, they have a lot of photoshop plugins.

I am hoping to reshoot these photos and take a bit more time.

The house is not very well lit, and has high ceilings.

If you have small rooms, such as a bathroom, do you still do a tour on that?

Any other segestions? I know this is trial by error, but any advise is welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Message posted by 360texas on June-19-2008 at 8:01am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Morning CDG and Pixelator

Things to avoid

floor, ceiling and wall tile

standing in the center of rooms or staircases - shoot offset 

mirrors

bright windows

ANYthing moving

If I can think of anything else.. I will return.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by pixelator on June-19-2008 at 8:48am
View pixelator's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by pixelator Search   Visit pixelator's Homepage www   Quote pixelator Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by CDG2008 on June-18-2008

If you have small rooms, such as a bathroom, do you still do a tour on that?

Thanks in advance.

I charge for each pano, so yes do the bathrooms. MORE $ for you

Message posted by pixelator on June-19-2008 at 8:52am
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by CDG2008 on June-18-2008
I agree that I need to try either bracketing or the higher shutter speed.

Thanks in advance.

You need to use a slower shutter speed to let more light in. When you bracket don't forget to take a look at photomatix for blending the images.

Message posted by Peanut on June-23-2008 at 3:51am
View Peanut's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Peanut Search   Quote Peanut Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Peanut
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
March-01-2008
46 Posts
Dave you noted above not to set up in the middle of a room.  You said stand offset. Can you explain why?

Message posted by pixelator on June-23-2008 at 8:49am
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts
Dave instructed me of this probably 3-4 years ago. Setting up in the middle of the room will cause you big time head aches as there is usually a light above. Whether it is a light or ceiling fan you are asking for stitching problems.

Message posted by 360texas on June-23-2008 at 9:08am
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Question was Why offset room setup?

Avoid room center
1. Typically an item of interest like chandelier or room fan is in center of room and all you would see is up view of the object.
2. Other objects are in room floor center requiring time to relocate.
3.  I have had poor stitching results in the zenith area with out taking a 5th UP view.
4.  Without a tape measure, you probably won't shoot exact room center anyway.

Off set benefits,
1. Imaging will include full height of chandelier or room fan.  Turn room fan ON  to show fan blade desireable movement blur.  Helps avoid trying to stitch static multiple fan blades together.
2.   When we shoot, we try to keep at least a 3 foot [1 meter] clear zone around the tripod feet. Creates a clear walk space during camera rotation.   For us, we usually find clear space zones in about the 1/3 - 2/3rd area of the room.   This comes from people living space.  Furniture [couches and chairs] usually is along the room walls.
3. Object stitiching issues usually occur in the bottom 20% of the image top and bottom.  Maintaining the 3 foot [1 meter] tripod clear space assures object stitching issues reduction.
4. Square room center setup the room ceiling height will be somewhat equal heights around the image horizon.  Symetrically room setup is ok for special effects. 
5. Offset room setup creates a visual variation in wall /ceilings heights and captures the occasional chandelier/ room fan as well as an opportunity to view through an open door way into the adjacent room.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register