Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Photography Equipments
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Which Fisheye lens? Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by nerjaace on November-24-2008 at 7:09am
View nerjaace's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by nerjaace Search   Visit nerjaace's Homepage www   Quote nerjaace Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
nerjaace
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-10-2008
585 Posts

Hi, I am looking at buying teh Nikon D300 and wondered which fisheye lens to go for. Should it be the Nikon 10.5mm or the Sigma 8mm or other.

I am currently using a one shot lens and want to improve my game. I see taht many people use the D300 and it has a lot of good reviews. I am confused however which lens to get and also what else I should be looking at getting. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I know this is open territory but user feed back from people actually doing tours and the equipement they use is the only way I can find out the direction to go. If I am going to spend a lot of money I would like to know that I have spent it in the right direction. 

I am off to Hong Kong in a weeks time and hope to find some good deals on the camera and lens its just a case of knowing what to go for.

Look forward to any advice going.

Message posted by smooth on November-24-2008 at 8:52am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

It really depends on what you want to produce.

You have options:

• Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye (6+TB) can be five shot +TB
  • Sigma 4.5mm Fisheye (3) can be two shot with little overlap
  • Sigma 8mm Fisheye (4) can be three shot with 60 degree angle
  • Sigma 10mm Fisheye (6+TB) can be five shot +TB
  • Tokina 10-17mm Zoom Fisheye (6+TB) can be five shot +TB
  • Sunex Superfisheye (3) can be two shot with little overlap
  • (Panoweaver compatible)

Personally I feel you really can't go passed the Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye. Second to that would be the Sigma 8mm Fisheye for minimising shots. The Tokina has it's advantages as it can be used for different purposes. They would be my top three.

........and you will need a quality panohead too match.

If you are looking for used secondhand panohead contact me I have quite a few for sale.

Regards, Smooth 

Message posted by nerjaace on November-24-2008 at 9:33am
View nerjaace's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by nerjaace Search   Visit nerjaace's Homepage www   Quote nerjaace Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
nerjaace
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-10-2008
585 Posts

Thanks Smooth, as I am new to this I guess I would like to take as fewer shots as necessary so I am guessing that the Sigma 8mm would be my best option.

Am I right in thinking that all I require is

A) The Camera - possibly D300 a good option

B) Sigma 8mm Lens

C) A Pano head/rotator

D) Decent Tripod - i.e Manfrotto

C) Stitching Software

D) Possibly HDR software for merging bracketed shots.

Am I missing any fundamental parts/accessories in my shopping list?

Thanks for the input.

Message posted by realtor jerry on November-24-2008 at 11:32am
View realtor jerry's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by realtor jerry Search   Visit realtor jerry's Homepage www   Quote realtor jerry Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
realtor jerry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
April-22-2007
880 Posts
Hi Nerjaace, with the quality you have been getting from the one-shot you should do great with the new set-up. As you know I use only Nikon with the Agnos TCPshort.
I can attest to the quality of the Nikon equipment. About a week ago I was leaving my house for a shoot. I picked up my hard case and it was not latched. The strange thing is it did not fall open until I was down my steps standing over a rock walkway. Everything came out, the D300, 12-24 lens, 18-200 lens and the 10.5 lens in the Agnos set-up with the ringT. The camera hit so hard it bent the bracket for the flash, had to use a screwdriver to pry it open enough to use my bubble level. The 12-24 and 18-200 both lost their lens caps and hit glass on rock. I carefully brushed them with my lens brush and cleaned them with some lens cleaner. Knock on wood, everything seems fine so far. I have shot several tours and can see no problem with the images.
Could the others stand up to this abuse, I don't know and hope no one has to find out the hard way. But I'll keep putting my money on Nikon......

-------------
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!

Message posted by nerjaace on November-24-2008 at 1:48pm
nerjaace
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-10-2008
585 Posts
That must have been a heart stopping moment Jerry!

Message posted by realtor jerry on November-24-2008 at 2:59pm
View realtor jerry's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by realtor jerry Search   Visit realtor jerry's Homepage www   Quote realtor jerry Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
realtor jerry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
April-22-2007
880 Posts
The heart stopping moment was my wife was there watching me....

-------------
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!

Message posted by Terry Nam on November-26-2008 at 5:27am
View Terry Nam's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Terry Nam Search   Quote Terry Nam Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Terry Nam
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
October-05-2002
110 Posts

Hi

Mmmm, the Nikkor lens seems to get a very respectful rating. I currently use the Sigma 8mm (4+T) with reasonable results(although I will embark shortly with smooth regarding tuition on improving my end results). I have 2 questions. Would it make a noticeable difference with the end result to justify the expense of the Nikkor lens?. Secondly, I assume I would need to reset the NP each time a lens change is required? Has anyone gone from the Sigma to the Nikkor lens and, if so, what is there opinion between the two.

-------------
Terry
Nikon D300(Sept08), Sigma 8mm, agnos short

Message posted by smooth on November-26-2008 at 9:59am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Terry,

You will not see a huge difference in quality of result when compared at the same "final" display size. The advantage of the Sigma 8mm is the reduction in images needed. But you are also sacrificing "possible" maximum image size. 

It is horses for courses and that is why I own both.

Simply buying another lens will not instantly improve your results (unless you think and display bigger is better).

Finding the correct Hyperfocal focus setting and having a good processing workflow is much more valuable.

....and yes the NPP setting for each lens is different and will require adjustment.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by mhc1 on November-27-2008 at 3:47pm
View mhc1's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by mhc1 Search   Visit mhc1's Homepage www   Quote mhc1 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
mhc1
Standard Member
Standard Member
Germany
September-24-2007
62 Posts
Terry
use the hyperfocal setting, as Smooth advices,.
This will give you extra sharpnes - a lot better then using AF or fixed @ 1m or so.
Just did a "Neocorus"- Object 15cm away from the lens.
F8 @ hyperfocal setting and a fine sharp image, you can enjoy the paintings an the wall, app. 7-10m away, too.
Neocorus JAVA

Neocorus DevalVR - Best !

I suffered from a lack of sharpness too: setting the lens correctly, using ab 230 pts of sharpness (Capture One V4 : max: 500) and the right tilesize in Pano2QTVR really did it.
I dont have sharpen no more in my process now.

I also use the Tokina 10-17 - but thats another story: need more images and PTEDitor cant handle the filesize larger then @ 10mm no more.

The Sigma 8 give ab. 8000 x 4000 -> still more than twice I need for Internet diplay.
Camera: Canon 40D, 1.6 Crop.

-------------
ciao

mike
360de.de

Message posted by smooth on November-28-2008 at 1:08am
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Mike,

You should look to Pano2VR software and it's new Patch option. This is not restricted in file sizes like PTEditor and can handle 16Bit image files. (and soon will remember it's extracted position with $c command) Really worth a look!

Regards, Smooth

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register