Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Modelweaver

Subject Topic: Object Newbie Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by steiner on June-08-2005 at 6:03am
View steiner's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by steiner Search   Visit steiner's Homepage www   Quote steiner Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
steiner
Gold Member
Gold Member

May-21-2004
212 Posts

Hi all

I've never carried out an object VR and wondered if someone could answer a few basic questions.

1. Can I use my Coolpix 8700 for this work or is it better to use a DV camcorder?

2. Is ModelWeaver the best software for this type of work?

3. Is it OK to stick to a one level object VR or do most users expect to float over the object?  If it's the latter - how do you manage this for larger objects?  Wouldn't it require a massive rig to angle the camera to objects ranging from a mobile phone to things like a television set?

Apologies in advance is these are banal questions.  I've recently been asked about this technology but haven't a clue as yet.

Cheers

Steiner

Message posted by 360texas on June-08-2005 at 12:50pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

While I have not used Modelweaver, I have done some object tours.

Yes, your 8700 will work fine.  Take about 36 image or 1 at each 10 degrees using a lazy susan platform and a smooth blue drop cloth. Every 10 degrees will provide a smooth rotation.  I chose blue because my objects usually were of high contrast OPPOSITE color.

While the original images were 3504 x 2336 pixel dimensions and 8mb it was necessary resize all them down to around 8kb (8k x 36 images = final file size around 288kb suitable for dial up visitors.

I took each of the images into Photoshop and replaced the blue with white color.  This gives the floating appearance.

To take an UNDER side view of the object, suggest turning the object upside down so the bottom is now the top... and take another series of images.  Tennis shoes are a prime candidate for this option.

The upside down series becomes Row 2 and obviously the final file size is now 576kb.

For larger objects like cars  suggest using a 30m or 100 foot long electric extension cord to form a circle around the car.  Then using cloths line clips mark off 2.7 foot increments.  These will be used to move the tripod/ camera to the next shot.

While at a image position take an extra two or 3 shots for opening and closing the car door.  The final object it will appear as you rotate around the car.. the doors will open and close.

If you have not done it already, scroll down and click on the WHITE CAR object when you visit this page:

http://www.360texas.com/services/om/index.htm

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by steiner on June-09-2005 at 2:05pm
View steiner's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by steiner Search   Visit steiner's Homepage www   Quote steiner Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
steiner
Gold Member
Gold Member

May-21-2004
212 Posts

Hi Dave

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm just unclear on 1 thing.  What do you use to hold the camera when angling it up and over the object.  To keep it easy, let's just say you're doing an object VR of a computer printer.

Thanks

Steiner

Message posted by photospherix on June-13-2005 at 10:55am
View photospherix's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by photospherix Search   Visit photospherix's Homepage www   Quote photospherix Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
photospherix
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-11-2005
10 Posts
Steiner,

The most simple way is a tripod with a boom arm. To locate the camera at the correct position you will need some string to keep the distance from the center of the object to the camera correct.

The more complex route is to use a rig like Peace River

Or you can build your own.

-------------
PhotoSpherix - Object VR and Panoramic QTVR builders in the Midwest.
http://www.photospherix.com
Object and Pano examples on the Site

-------------
PhotoSpherix
360 Product Photography
http://www.photospherix.com
Object and Pano examples on the Site

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register