Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Modelweaver

Subject Topic: Hardware query Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by steiner on July-15-2005 at 8:58am
View steiner's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by steiner Search   Visit steiner's Homepage www   Quote steiner Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
steiner
Gold Member
Gold Member

May-21-2004
212 Posts

Hi all

having purchased ModelWeaver I now need to purchase a PiXi Motorized Turntable, but I've a few questions.

I plan to use EasyPano ModelWeaver software to capture video feed of my objects but as the image capture quality is not as good as my Nikon 8700 digital still camera - I would also like to capture still images of objects and stitch them together.

A. Is there software that would allow me to do that?

B. Would I therefore need to get a PiXi Manual Turntable as well?

Hope you can help,

Anthony

Message posted by smooth on July-15-2005 at 11:24am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Steiner,

I made my turntable it is 1200mm round with 36 detent click stops (10 degree's obviously!) Turn tables are very expensive.

I typically use my Sony Mavica CD500 to capture 36 images in 360 degree (manual) rotation.

See the Scooter result at http://smooth360.com/3d_objects/ this was part of a job I did for a bike and scooter distributer here in Australia.

Regards, Smooth 

Message posted by steiner on July-15-2005 at 12:07pm
View steiner's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by steiner Search   Visit steiner's Homepage www   Quote steiner Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
steiner
Gold Member
Gold Member

May-21-2004
212 Posts

Hi Smooth

You're a man after my own heart, I used my rotating bread board for todays experiment (manual of course).

How did you achieve the click stop mechanism? 

Steiner

Message posted by smooth on July-15-2005 at 2:29pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Hey Steiner,

Mate, I made mine out of MDF and on the underside I used a protractor that I found on the web and printed it very large then marked out the 36 points.

I used a "spade" drill bit (Speedbore) and drilled holes to about a depth of  7mm this allows for a kitchen door knob to drop into the hole that I attached to the end of a 2" x 1/2" stick that is attached to my bottom base plate (also MDF but only 600mm square) The stick is only attached at one end and the other carries the kitchen cupboard door knob (a fancy chrome knob!) the stick pushes/flexes down when I push on it to allow manual rotation to the next stop. The two pieces of MDF are joined with a "Lazy Susan" bearing wheel that was designed for rotating a large television or cabinet.

Over the top of this set up I had the missus stitch up vinyl covers that have elastic around the edge. ( I have both White and Black versions that easily swap) also the same material for floor and background covering. I light the objects through a white home made tent (sort of thing) made of cotton. (This stops shadows) and light from the outside with many flood lights. (from all sides)

Ended up costing a bit by the time I was done but the results have been good and it all packs up for easy transporting etc. Though most shooting is done in my studio.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by steiner on July-15-2005 at 4:02pm
steiner
Gold Member
Gold Member

May-21-2004
212 Posts

Damn - top marks for ingenuity mate!  I may well give something like this a go but I'll probably do it smaller scale.  Thinking about it - it makes little sense in spending the money on a Kaidan rig at this point - I just don't get the call for object VR's (yet).

Cheers

Steiner

Message posted by RuddersUK on July-15-2005 at 4:52pm
View RuddersUK's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by RuddersUK Search   Visit RuddersUK's Homepage www   Quote RuddersUK Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
RuddersUK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United Kingdom
July-16-2004
372 Posts
we bought a lazy susan from the local homeware shop for 3GBP. slightly modified it so it stops at 10degree intervals. works a treat! we use 500W outdoor spot lamps (same ones used for security lighting) for lighting, costing less than 10GBP each. No need for the over priced eqp when a little bit of thought can save you so much money!

Message posted by steiner on July-15-2005 at 5:55pm
steiner
Gold Member
Gold Member

May-21-2004
212 Posts
Nothing like good old fashioned creative thrift.  Thanks Rudders - Homebase here I come!  

Message posted by steiner on July-15-2005 at 6:17pm
steiner
Gold Member
Gold Member

May-21-2004
212 Posts

BTW - here's my first attempt at an object VR.  Not perfect but not bad considering it was done in my living room with a bread board turntable, no lighting and no blue screen!

http://www.condottiero.com/object/

I can see the biggest time consumer with objects will be the deletion of the background.  I have used blue screens in the past but I still find myself using the bezier tool.

Cheers

Steiner

Message posted by smooth on July-16-2005 at 3:42am
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Steiner,

Looks good

Does the job sweetly. I use a pro built small manual turntable that has 10 degree click stops that you will see on the US ebay site. I think they are selling for $70 USD but better deals can be had with software.

It is around 10" and works quite nicely also. I wouldn't waste any money on the Kaidan rigs. You can built your own for a lot less.

I would say my large one has cost all up including vinyl covers etc around $400 USD which is bugger all when compared to the item sold on the Kaidan site.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by steiner on July-16-2005 at 4:27am
steiner
Gold Member
Gold Member

May-21-2004
212 Posts

Sounds good Smooth.  Re. the vinyl covers and backdrop/cover - do they allow you to delete by color or do you also use the bezier tool?  I would guess the latter as your scooter has such precise edges (including wires).

Also - how much do you charge for object VRs?  I would think a bit more as the workflow seems to be longer.

Cheers

Steiner

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register