Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Tourweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Your vote for virtual tour player Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Rosalba on April-26-2005 at 7:32am
View Rosalba's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Rosalba Search   Quote Rosalba Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Rosalba
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

February-21-2003
20 Posts

Please tell us your preference on ActiveX or Java player. Your vote is truely appreciated and important for the design of Tourweaver 2.00. Please go to  http://www.easypano.com/poll.html to vote.
Many thanks.

Message posted by phoenixrising on April-26-2005 at 4:06pm
View phoenixrising's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by phoenixrising Search   Quote phoenixrising Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
phoenixrising
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-16-2003
974 Posts

Why not do both??? Imatronics have managed this with output in java and active X. Apart from that... 89,9% of users have Java installed. Having to download and install anything is always a problem for many users who just won't use the tours then. ActiveX is also known to be a major virus carrier and is disabled by many users by default. Java can play hi res panoramas as can be seen with the FSP viewer which is based on PT viewer. Also imatronics have also a java based viewer allowing for large screen panos. Oh yes... we have an auto detect for java... so some of your info is not factually correct.

I'd be very disapointed if Easypano would resort to a propriotory activeX viewer and I believe it would influence my business negativly. So much so that I'd not be able to support or use TW 2 at all. 

-------------
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.

Message posted by ajay on April-27-2005 at 5:15am
View ajay's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by ajay Search   Visit ajay's Homepage www   Quote ajay Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
ajay
Gold Member
Gold Member

November-09-2004
167 Posts
Agree with Phoenix both, is preferable.
Customer choice is critical. Many do not want plugin driven tours - many do not understand the difference between the two either. Confusion reigns!!! Do not throw java out yet, assuming the launch is Autumn05, too early. Java is still the dominant force out there despite its faults. Not sure if Active X is supported by Mac???

-------------
aj

Message posted by disjo on April-27-2005 at 6:19am
View disjo's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by disjo Search   Visit disjo's Homepage www   Quote disjo Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
disjo
Gold Member
Gold Member

August-10-2004
107 Posts
I prefer Java, because Firefox becomes more popular and Firefox doesn't support ActiveX.

Message posted by RuddersUK on April-29-2005 at 5:20am
View RuddersUK's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by RuddersUK Search   Visit RuddersUK's Homepage www   Quote RuddersUK Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
RuddersUK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United Kingdom
July-16-2004
372 Posts
Well said phoenix. I think easypano will lose a lot of customers if the choose to go soley down the active x route. plus why dont they have a java applet that does all the things the active x will do? Its quite possible. Please dont let me have to go back to iPIX easypano! Apart from the numerous bugs I like TW a lot

Message posted by phoenixrising on April-29-2005 at 7:21am
View phoenixrising's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by phoenixrising Search   Quote phoenixrising Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
phoenixrising
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-16-2003
974 Posts

I've copied some of my above comment and have put together some of the issues again. Please take part in this discussion even if you don't use TW.

• Why not do both??? Imatronics have managed this with output in java and active X.
  • Apart from that... 89,9% of users have Java installed. Having to download and install anything is always a problem for many users who just won't use the tours then.
  • ActiveX is also known to be a major virus carrier and is disabled by many users by default.
  • Java can play hi res panoramas as can be seen with the FSP viewer which is based on PT viewer. Also imatronics have also a java based viewer allowing for large screen panos.
  • Oh yes... we have an auto detect for java... so some of your info is not factually correct.
  • MAC and Firefox don't support ActiveX

It appears to me that you need to research your options more thourghly and not just go the easy way. Java is still a very good platform and is continually evolving. It may be worth doing something like a java light and java with plug-in version which will detect Broadbandspeed and then download to the user so that they can use the plug-in (very small) automatically. This will also enable full screen and verious add-ons.

I'd be very disapointed if Easypano would resort to a propriotory activeX viewer and I believe it would influence my business negativly. So much so that I'd not be able to support or use TW 2 at all.

Please contribute to this discussion even if not a TW user.

Thx Rob the Phoenix

-------------
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.

Message posted by smooth on April-29-2005 at 9:59am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

I'm not sure Easypano has ever said they are going solely down the ActiveX trail. At least I hope not!

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by zjoker on April-29-2005 at 12:18pm
View zjoker's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by zjoker Search   Visit zjoker's Homepage www   Quote zjoker Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
zjoker

May-23-2002
122 Posts
I would have to agree with all issues mentioned by Rob the Phoenix. It would be another product in the easypano line that I would not be able to upgrade due to easypano moving the product further away from my needs.

Message posted by phoenixrising on April-29-2005 at 2:12pm
phoenixrising
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-16-2003
974 Posts

Hi Smooth...

I know that Easypano have never mentioned they'd just go for ActiveX... however, I feel quite strongly about this issue and going by the poll "Do you want one or other makes me worry that only one option may be considered. Also I felt the listings of reasons why were biased towards ActiveX. My points were made to compensate for the fact that ActiveX is being shown to have more capabilities then java. Whilst this may actually be the case... I still felt inclined to point out that java also has various capabilities that I feel are not listed. Is'pose I'm just concerned that they'll drop java... which would dissapoint me as I feel it's at present the better all round solution. What would really be cool is if Easypano would find the solution to displaying spheres in flash.... hhmmm now we're talking.

All the best to you old buddy, Rob.

-------------

Message posted by simon on April-30-2005 at 2:49am
View simon's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by simon Search   Visit simon's Homepage www   Quote simon Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
simon
Gold Member
Gold Member

January-14-2003
141 Posts

Agree Java is essential to keep. Robert, I don't know of any way to auto detect Java but would be interested to know what is working for you if you are willing to share the code. An active X plug-in would be useful as an alternative but a Mac etc compatible plug-in should also be available to cover all other platforms similar to 'Ipox'

Simon

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register