Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Tourweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Java question Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by jegbert on May-16-2005 at 8:49pm
View jegbert's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by jegbert Search   Quote jegbert Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
jegbert
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
March-14-2005
4 Posts
Hey,

I would like to set-up some Java code to detect (on both a CD and a tour on the web) whether or not a user has the plug-in needed to view the tour. Has anyone done this?

I appreciate the help!

Jen

Message posted by super_anne on May-18-2005 at 10:08pm
View super_anne's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by super_anne Search   Quote super_anne Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
super_anne
Standard Member
Standard Member

April-29-2005
44 Posts
Yes. You can add a Java code that can detect whether or not a user has
the plug-in and direct user to the Java website.
We have thought this in our next version. And our next version will
support Active x, which will solve the problem.As to the java based virtual tour,
we'll enable Tourweaver to automatically detect the JVM and then accordingly
prompt viewer to download JVM.

Message posted by jegbert on May-19-2005 at 2:43am
View jegbert's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by jegbert Search   Quote jegbert Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
jegbert
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
March-14-2005
4 Posts
Thanks Anne!!!

Jen

Message posted by ajay on May-19-2005 at 3:53am
View ajay's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by ajay Search   Visit ajay's Homepage www   Quote ajay Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
ajay
Gold Member
Gold Member

November-09-2004
167 Posts
Looks like Java will still be an output option in TW2 then!?

-------------
aj

Message posted by phoenixrising on May-22-2005 at 6:38am
View phoenixrising's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by phoenixrising Search   Quote phoenixrising Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
phoenixrising
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-16-2003
974 Posts
Thats not how I'm reading it... though I hope I'm wrong and java still is supported.

-------------
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.

Message posted by disjo on May-25-2005 at 1:43pm
View disjo's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by disjo Search   Visit disjo's Homepage www   Quote disjo Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
disjo
Gold Member
Gold Member

August-10-2004
107 Posts

Below you find an e-mail I received from Easypano. And they state that TW2.0 no longer supports Java!!!!!!!!!!!!!

disjo

==================================

Thank you very much for your suggestion. We have taken this into
consideration.And Tourweaver 2.0 will no longer use Java, but use our
own Activex which can support Firefox.

Thanks again and if there is any other question, please contact with
us.

--
Best regards,
Anne                          
support@easypano.com

Saturday, April 30, 2005, 12:26:28 AM, you wrote:

Please use both ActiveX and Java in Tourweaver 2.0.
I'm using FireFox and FireFox isn't able to load ActiveX-components.
Since FireFox spreads itself very quickly on the internet, you're ruling out a
large number of potential customers with ActiveX.

So please let us, your customers, decide what kind of tour we make, Java or
ActiveX (or maybe both?) and put both options in TW2.0.

Message posted by super_anne on May-25-2005 at 11:56pm
View super_anne's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by super_anne Search   Quote super_anne Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
super_anne
Standard Member
Standard Member

April-29-2005
44 Posts

I would like to make up one point here.

Whether TW 2.0 will use Java or not is still uncertain. It is still under discussion. But it will use Active X.

Message posted by smooth on May-26-2005 at 12:50am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

ActiveX ONLY will be the death of Tourweaver I believe it is not a trusted format.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by phoenixrising on May-27-2005 at 5:49am
View phoenixrising's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by phoenixrising Search   Quote phoenixrising Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
phoenixrising
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-16-2003
974 Posts
I agree...

customer input is very very biased towards java and quicktime. A flash player would be also cool. However it is my experience and that of many pano users, that the end user doesn't like to have to instal anything like a plug in. 89% of webusers have java... I know it's not perfect... however... it would be an enhancement to have ActiveX output as well as java. It does require some programming work. But there are one or two products out there that have this capability... so no real reason not to consider this. ActiveX is as far as I'm aware no good for MAC. The list goes on.

-------------
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.

Message posted by smooth on May-27-2005 at 10:46am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

For me it doesn't really matter if it is supported by Firefox - Internet Explorer - PC or Mac. It is a major security risk and even Microsoft have admitted this and restricted it's use in Windows Service Pack II.

Television programs like "Call for Help" - "Attack of the Show" - (The Screen Savers) etc are telling people all the time to avoid it. What chance does a panorama maker have to convince the people viewing otherwise? FAT CHANCE

Java is used by just about every bank for Internet banking so in fact this is increasing the use of Java. I believe that ActiveX uses the program resources stored on your OWN computer and this is why the install control unit is small. So basically you have a "outside source" from the internet controlling certain components of your own computer to assist in viewing the panorama/tour.

Now if they can write a small ActiveX script to do all this good! it is just as easy for someone to write something nasty with ActiveX to do not so great things to your computer and files.

ActiveX is not self contained and thus you are taking a huge security risk using it. I'm sure Easypano would not be abusing it, but once somebody has an in - well you are asking for it.

Do a search in Google for "Security Risk ActiveX"

Quote:

http://www.russharvey.bc.ca/resources/websecurity.html

Disable ActiveX

"ActiveX is a proprietary alternative to Java designed to enhance the performance of programs and to allow for easier upgrades to the Windows operating system. However, the lack of security allows destructive programs to use this feature to access areas of your computer that they wouldn't otherwise be able to attack.

The main difference between ActiveX and Java are the permissions available to the script. ActiveX can essentially access any area of your computer. Java is more restricted in its ability to access critical areas of your system so a rogue Java script can do less potential damage than a rogue ActiveX control."

Good luck convincing people to use it!

Regards, Smooth

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register