Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Tourweaver

Subject Topic: Accessibility Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by ajay on July-28-2005 at 11:35am
View ajay's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by ajay Search   Visit ajay's Homepage www   Quote ajay Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
ajay
Gold Member
Gold Member

November-09-2004
167 Posts
Have been looking into the W3C standards which will apply to all government departments in uk by 2006.
Sent the following e mail to Browsealoud:

"Thank you for enabling my website on a test basis.
I create Virtual Tours for clients using Java technology and Easypano & QuickTime software. I am particularly interested in whether the Browsealoud technology can be applied to such tours? You will see examples on my website. I am currently looking at the W3C principles and how they can be applied to Virtual Tours.
Regards"

Received the following answer which I thought might be interesting:

"Hi Alan,
Thanks for the email.
At present we cannot read Java unless it's accessible Java http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/access/ At present we cannot read Easypano and QuickTime, and do not have any plans to do so.

Something that could be of interest to you re W3C and accessibility of images, is the current problem faced by local government.

All local authorities websites in England are required to have their websites conforming to the W3C AA (Double A) Guidelines by March 2006. Problem is, due to another initiative, local authorities are also required to have a GIS (Geographical Information System), or map, on their website. Currently GIS providers do not provide their maps in accessible format, and therefore any local authorities that have a GIS map on their website fail W3C AA.

A workaround which the RNIB are happy with, is having the local authority website provide a text description of the map located below the graphical image. This workaround is currently being accepted by government, and the W3C are reviewing their guidelines in respect of this.

So the long and the short of it. If you have an non-accessible graphical image/ tour on your website then the argument is there should be a text description close by. I suppose the detail which the text description should go into would be up to the website owner...

Hope this helps, and sorry for being a bit long winded.

Kindest regards

Oliver"

Sure this is not only applicable in UK - so something that EP really should take into account whilst developing TW2 - otherwise working with government depts or others who are into this accessibility issue will be very difficult in future whether we like it or not!
Alan

-------------
aj

Message posted by BigGreenFurryTh on August-04-2005 at 9:13am
View BigGreenFurryTh's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by BigGreenFurryTh Search   Visit BigGreenFurryTh's Homepage www   Quote BigGreenFurryTh Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
BigGreenFurryTh
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
January-07-2005
49 Posts
I have similar problems with a few of my clients.

However, provided the site owners can demonstrate that they have taken reasonable steps to make all content accessible then the spirit of the Act is adhered to.

Workaround is as, you pointed out, a text only area of the site duplicating or describing the graphic TW / content.

The major problem is that, the W3C standards and UK legislation do not take into account extant graphics technologies. As far as I know none of the major web software user groups in the UK were consulted prior to this Act going on the statute books.

-------------
Cheers,
Mark

Message posted by RuddersUK on August-04-2005 at 9:32am
View RuddersUK's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by RuddersUK Search   Visit RuddersUK's Homepage www   Quote RuddersUK Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
RuddersUK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United Kingdom
July-16-2004
372 Posts
Would it be a good idea to do a text only version of the sites to comply with the W3C standards?

Message posted by rfh12002 on April-04-2009 at 8:54pm
View rfh12002's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by rfh12002 Search   Visit rfh12002's Homepage www   Quote rfh12002 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
rfh12002
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

July-07-2005
770 Posts
Hey there  - just wondered if anyone had any updates to this issue?

-------------
sales@actualeducation.co.uk
www.actualeducation.co.uk

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register