Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Tourweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Photomatrix & Blown Out Windows Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by kropke on October-21-2005 at 6:25pm
View kropke's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by kropke Search   Quote kropke Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
kropke
Gold Member
Gold Member

June-08-2005
113 Posts

Hello:  Several people in this forum suggested that I use Photomatrix to help solve the problem that I am having with my windows getting blown out on my tours.  I use the 0-360 lens.  I am using the trial version and seem to think that it works well (once I learn how to use it properly).  Anyway, my question is...What tools would I use for the quickest fix for my problem?  I don't have alot of time to spend on each one and I am hoping that someone has found the quickest way to resolve the "way too bright" windows.   Thanks.

Message posted by johnfl68 on October-21-2005 at 10:27pm
View johnfl68's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by johnfl68 Search   Visit johnfl68's Homepage www   Quote johnfl68 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
johnfl68
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-27-2005
70 Posts
I have been playing around with this a bit and in most cases I just load the set of images into Photomatix and then do the following:

Combine> H&S Details - Auto> OK

This seems to work in most situations. If the images where taken on a tripod and all should line up, I recomend not checking the "Align before combining" box, as I do not see much difference, but the overall size of the picture changes by a few pixels, and sometimes this throws off the viewer.

Some people say you only need to take 3 pictures, nominal exposure, one step above, and one step below.
Example based on a nominal exposure at 1/30 sec:
1/15
1/30 *
1/60

Others say you need to take as many as 7 pictures.
1/4
1/8
1/15
1/30*
1/60
1/125
1/250

In the test shots I have made recently I have found 3 shot sollution in which the end result is very close to the 7 shot version. This can come in handy if you are short on time. I have only tested this on interior shots, and the sun is usually pretty bright in Florida (when there isn't a hurricane approaching). The theory would be that your first shot is properly exposed for inside, the second is slightly overexposed for shadows and darker areas, and the final shot is properly exposed for outside the window(s).
1/15
1/30*
1/250

There are lots of different ways to do things, you need to see what works best for you. Also some rooms will be better subjects and some will be worse. It will just take a bit of getting used to the settings and number of pictures needed to get the desired output based on the room lighting conditions. This will all come with time for any of us, as every picture you take you will learn more.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

John

Message posted by ajay on October-22-2005 at 5:18am
View ajay's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by ajay Search   Visit ajay's Homepage www   Quote ajay Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
ajay
Gold Member
Gold Member

November-09-2004
167 Posts
If u have PS dont bother with photomatix. Simplest is to take two pics, one exposed for room and one for windows. Import into PS as layers with the room exposure layer on top. Rub out the windows area using the erasor - flatten image. I find if you trace the outline of the windows first using the marquee tool it means you dont have to be careful around the edges when erasing, saves tons of time.
Alan

-------------
aj

Message posted by phoenixrising on October-23-2005 at 12:00pm
View phoenixrising's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by phoenixrising Search   Quote phoenixrising Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
phoenixrising
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-16-2003
974 Posts

I also prefer PS.

I used to need 5-7 exposures so that I could get a smooth blend when I was still useing my cp4500/FC-E8 setup. (Tend to like to have to many then to few pics)

Since I use my Canon 20D/Sig 8mm set up and take pics in RAW I find I only require 3 shots. Therefore I take a couple of sample shots to get the ideal lighting right. Then set the timing and auto bracketing (ie this will allow me to take 3 shots in a row at different exposure times) and take my shots. The nice thing about taking images in RAW is that I can do looooooooaaaaaddddssssss of post processing work that'll compenaste for even the worst cockup.

-------------
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.

Message posted by rfh12002 on October-23-2005 at 4:45pm
View rfh12002's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by rfh12002 Search   Visit rfh12002's Homepage www   Quote rfh12002 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
rfh12002
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

July-07-2005
770 Posts

Does this blown out window thing happen on images taken with a nikon 5000 and fce8 lens too?

Cheers muchly

F

Message posted by phoenixrising on October-24-2005 at 11:46am
View phoenixrising's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by phoenixrising Search   Quote phoenixrising Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
phoenixrising
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-16-2003
974 Posts
sure does. The problem lies with the fact that a digi cam can only "see" over a limited range. Us humans can compensate for around 50 stops of ligting where a digi cam can only give good range across 2.5 stops (at least I think thats right). Therefore u need to take a few shots at different exposure times so that u have a broad range of  lighting. Some like to shut curtains... however, I prefer to keep them open, switch all the room lights on and try and avoid taking images at high noon when u have the maximum of exterior light influencing ur photography. Alas there's no real way around this apart from doing multiple shots and either useing a blending tool or PS. Initially this is time consuming... however after a while it's just part of the workflow and with 8 out of 10 images will only add little time to the work involved.

-------------
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.

Message posted by rfh12002 on October-24-2005 at 4:47pm
View rfh12002's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by rfh12002 Search   Visit rfh12002's Homepage www   Quote rfh12002 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
rfh12002
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

July-07-2005
770 Posts

Thanks Phoenix. Thats a help - I plan on doing mainly outdoor shots anyway but as ever this is good info.

Cheers

F

Message posted by virtualsv on October-24-2005 at 8:23pm
View virtualsv's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by virtualsv Search   Visit virtualsv's Homepage www   Quote virtualsv Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
virtualsv
Gold Member
Gold Member
United States
June-09-2005
118 Posts
Thats cool, never knew you could do it in ps, have to try it next time i shoot, I have been using photomatrix and it takes a while to process all the images and I have P4 3.2.

-------------
Miguel Martinez
Virtual Tour Designer
360 Design Studio (Formally known as VirtualSV)
support@360designstudio.com

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register