Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Tourweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: DirectX and Java Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by rfh12002 on January-13-2006 at 11:22am
View rfh12002's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by rfh12002 Search   Visit rfh12002's Homepage www   Quote rfh12002 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
rfh12002
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

July-07-2005
770 Posts

Dear All,

I just received this feedback from a potential client - I sent a beta version of a tour and his reply discussed the problems with it (helpful if depressing!).

His points were:

• You need special Java and DirectX software, both of which I had to download.
  • The instructions etc are a bit confusing (although it did say they were beta products). For example, the CDs are not really usable unless you 'full
    screen' your browser window in advance.
  • The end products are not at present suitable for the average computer user. 
  • Is there any way around these? I thought (and still believe) that Java and DirectX were very common. Is there away around the screen size issue? Mine are quite large.

Basically I think they have been a bit pedantic - other, far bigger clients, have expressed a real interest. Please can someone either help me improve these issues or tell me that yup - this was a pedantic group!  I know not having the tour up doesnt help but im ok with the tour - its more the computer running the tour issues I need help with.

Slightly confused and a lil depressed but happy as this is only 10 percent of what has happened so far - the others have all been happy.

Cheers all

Message posted by 360texas on January-13-2006 at 5:43pm
    View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
    360texas
    Forum Moderator
    Forum Moderator
    United States
    June-12-2002
    2240 Posts

Ok.. there has been a few views on this comment.. but no replies so far.  Just to let you know, yes I did read your comments.

1.  "Java" could be 1 or 2 issues. 

Either their machine did not have the Java engine installed on their machine and needed to be downloaded.  Sun Java as well as MS Java virtual machine is a large download.. but only has to be done 1 time.  Typically either Sun or MSJVM comes already installed on the machine.  AND it might not be enabled.  Java in general is already installed on 80% of new machines by the resellers like Dell or HP.  Other manufacturers might just ignore it.  In that case it does need to be downloaded and enabled.     OR

They are talking about the server side java applet.. in which case it is downloaded each time that the panorama is clicked.

I am lost regarding Active X.  Typically ActiveX is only used by Internet Explorer in which case.. it might be blocked by companies firewall security levels.  In any event.. when Active X is called inside the browser..  it calls for the ActiveX from manufacturer.  In this case it might be from Easypano's server.

IF you are doing all this from a CD.... that particular machine would have to have direct access to the Internet.  If the machine is sitting inside the firewall that is blocking the call for Java or ActiveX module.. it might be an issue.

I know this probably does not help.. but at the moment .. maybe Easypano might help us understand the issues.

Dave

-------------
    /s/
    Dave
    Forum Moderator for
    EasyPano - Panoweaver
    Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by rfh12002 on January-13-2006 at 6:55pm
    View rfh12002's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by rfh12002 Search   Visit rfh12002's Homepage www   Quote rfh12002 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
    rfh12002
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member

July-07-2005
    770 Posts

Much appreciated Dave.

I'm producing tours for the history market. This particular one came from a tiny organisation and it did surprise me - UNESCO sites I have shown this too have been very positive.  It is the first time I've had anything negative back and I suppose I took it hard but I'm working on improving it as we speak.

Your help here is really appreciated

F

Message posted by paparazzi on February-08-2006 at 5:06pm
    View paparazzi's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by paparazzi Search   Quote paparazzi Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
    paparazzi
    Standard Member
    Standard Member
    Saint Helena
    February-08-2006
    2 Posts

The thing i dislike most with the Java platform witch it runs on is that if the client haveing a plugin like java och ms virtual machine the RED cross just apears on the screen. If you take flash for example there will be show a popup if you like to install flash or not. That is something to think of by the development team.

Message posted by phoenixrising on February-10-2006 at 7:35am
    View phoenixrising's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by phoenixrising Search   Quote phoenixrising Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
    phoenixrising
    Forum Moderator
    Forum Moderator
    United Kingdom
    January-16-2003
    974 Posts
    We always have a java check installed. This automatically checks if java is installed and if not offers a link to the download and instructions.

-------------
    If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.

Message posted by ajay on February-10-2006 at 8:29am
    View ajay's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by ajay Search   Visit ajay's Homepage www   Quote ajay Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
    ajay
    Gold Member
    Gold Member

November-09-2004
    167 Posts
    Hi Phoenix
    Any links to the java checker u use?

-------------
    aj

Message posted by smooth on February-10-2006 at 10:26am
    View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
    smooth
    Forum Moderator
    Forum Moderator
    Australia
    November-23-2002
    5401 Posts

Ajay,

Check this site or this site

Has instructions and everything!

and here or here is some more intesting reading.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by ajay on February-13-2006 at 5:00am
    View ajay's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by ajay Search   Visit ajay's Homepage www   Quote ajay Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
    ajay
    Gold Member
    Gold Member

November-09-2004
    167 Posts
    Thanks Smooth - great!

-------------
    aj

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
    If you are not already registered you must first register