Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Tourweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: JPG Image Quality Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by klafe on February-19-2007 at 10:53am
View klafe's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by klafe Search   Quote klafe Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
klafe
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
October-05-2006
51 Posts
Thanks to Smooth, I understand what the dimensions of the pano should be verses the viewer size in TW...My question is, what do you set the image quality at when saving the image in Photoshop?  I can't seem to find an answer to this in previous threads.  Thanks.

Message posted by smooth on February-19-2007 at 11:26am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

You should base this on your own eyesight what looks good vs what doesn't and the compromise in between versus required optimum file size weight in .kb's.

A sensible starting point in Photoshop would be "70" and either reduce or enlarge based on the output image quality.

I would suggest you allow Tourweaver 1.30 to output images and then "replace" them with your "own" compressed images. All these images go into the "Scene" folder. To do this you will need to make sure you retain the same exact file name and be sure you have encryption turned off. The internal program image compressor isn't the best and whats worse is that version 2.0 doesn't even afford you this simple option to have control over your own images.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by eagle on February-19-2007 at 11:59am
View eagle's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by eagle Search   Quote eagle Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
eagle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

April-14-2004
382 Posts
Wow!

I've always wondered about that.

Now, it makes sense. TW "ruins" the nicely stitched and detailed image when it outputs it.

Thanks smooth! I'm going to give this a whirl.

r,
eagle

Message posted by smooth on February-19-2007 at 12:14pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by eagle on February-19-2007
TW "ruins" the nicely stitched and detailed image when it outputs it.

Thanks smooth! I'm going to give this a whirl.

Yes, this has always been the case. It's not just Tourweaver and Panoweaver, any program with a image compression slider has a bad habit of undoing your hard work. Not all, but most.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by klafe on February-19-2007 at 2:26pm
View klafe's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by klafe Search   Quote klafe Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
klafe
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
October-05-2006
51 Posts

So Smooth...the fact that I have been saving them at 10 is probably a bit too high?  I am trying to avoid lag time with the viewing of the tours. 

Message posted by rockandrollhair on February-19-2007 at 9:21pm
View rockandrollhair's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by rockandrollhair Search   Visit rockandrollhair's Homepage www   Quote rockandrollhair Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
rockandrollhair
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
August-06-2006
25 Posts
Klafe,
under file you should see the option save for web.
if you select it it'll bring up your image in a preview mode...you can select what percentage you want to save it based on file size verses image quality. usually around 60-70% is a good starting point.

Message posted by smooth on February-19-2007 at 11:56pm
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Output whatever you like in Tourweaver because you will throw these images away and replace them with correctly sized and compressed images done in Photoshop.

But yes, if you were saving at 10 and then displaying them in a tour that is far to big.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by mstoss on February-20-2007 at 5:05am
View mstoss's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by mstoss Search   Visit mstoss's Homepage www   Quote mstoss Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
mstoss
Gold Member
Gold Member
Germany
December-26-2006
141 Posts
hm... seems you're right, Smooth.

The new format inside the scene folder is *.jpe (for easypano? encrypted?) and cannot be replaced by normal *.jpg files.

In general it seems a good idea to be able to protect the images, but it should be up to the user to decide.

If I should choose between "encrypted" and "individually optimised" I always would go for the latter to maintain the quality. It should be more difficult to use this *.jpe format for the player than using ordinary *.jpg. Would be an important point on the wish list to give this option back again.

Michael

-------------
http://www.premiumpano.de

Message posted by klafe on February-20-2007 at 6:36am
klafe
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
October-05-2006
51 Posts

I took one image (1800 X 900) and saved it as a jpg at 10 (not using the Save for the Web option).  The file size is 515kb.  Then I saved it at 70% through Save for the web option - jpg.  The size was 577kb.  Is that a big difference? or am I missing something?

Message posted by smooth on February-20-2007 at 6:39am
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Make a link to this exact image for me so I can compress it for optimum file size and I will let you know.

The reason for "Save to Web" option is that you get to compare and view the compression before saving.

Regards, Smooth

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register