Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Tourweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: pros and cons when hosting tours Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Wide-Eyes on April-13-2007 at 10:37pm
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi everybody.

So once again I need your feedback. I hope you will be as helpfull as always.

Up untill now I have always handed over all files for the tours I have produced, so the customer have total control with them. I am now considering to host all future tours I produce. What is your opinion no hosting tours? Advantages vs disadvantages?

PROS:

- The main reason for me to host tours my self is that I will be able to offer more advanced packages. IF hosting tours my selv I imagine that I would provide additional services like:

- An infopage that shortly explain what the viewer is about to see, and how to navigate through the tour.

- Pop up detector

- Centering tour in the middle of the screen. I think the visual experience is better if the tour is centered in the middle of the screen.

- Statistics. I will be able to offer a monthly report telling how many people actually views the tour. That way the customer will get a better feeling of the actual value of the tour I have produced.  

Furthermore I think these arguments are good:

- It have never been easier for the client. They just have to insert a link and they are up and running. Many of my customers web pages are CMS sites and that can give a lot of problems when uploading the tours.

- I will be able to charge an annual hosting fee

- It will give me an opportunity to brand my company more efficiently

Cons:

- It will take longer to produce the tours = more work

- So far it have been an important selling argument that the client actually got the files. I gues it makes the "product" more tangible Actually this would be my main argument for why I should NOT host the tours!

- My expences will increase due to increased  traffic to my web site.

Bring it on Easypano forum members and Tourweaver users. Let me knwo what you think about it?

Best regards

Morten Andersen

Message posted by jonpaul on April-14-2007 at 10:53am
View jonpaul's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by jonpaul Search   Quote jonpaul Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
jonpaul
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
March-22-2005
17 Posts

Hi again Morten

I prefere to host the tours for our clients on our own servers but also provide them with a CD version once we have recived Payment normaly 30 day invoice.

1 It make it a more simple procedure for the client if thay only have to have the link inserted on there site.

2 Ensures that we recive full payment for the Tour.

3 Also alows us to fully customize the VT so that we has a company can benifit in over ways. i.e meta tags with in the HTML files consist opf keywords that help our website search eng listing postions.

Go for your own server buddy when you thinks of the benifits to cost ratio it certanly pays off.

Good luck

Jonpaul

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on April-14-2007 at 2:18pm
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi Jonpaul

Yes the advantage is also that I will be able to use the site in regards to SEO (I just have to learn how it actually works *lol*)  

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen
- a newbie trying to improve

Message posted by jonpaul on April-15-2007 at 6:16am
View jonpaul's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by jonpaul Search   Quote jonpaul Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
jonpaul
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
March-22-2005
17 Posts

Morten what areas do you reqiure help with I will try to assist.

Jonpaul

Message posted by Thatone1785 on April-16-2007 at 12:53am
View Thatone1785's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Thatone1785 Search   Visit Thatone1785's Homepage www   Quote Thatone1785 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Thatone1785
Gold Member
Gold Member
United States
June-10-2006
154 Posts
I would host the tours yourself - You can get a good shared hosting account for a fairly small amount of money - especially if you pay yearly as most companies offer a fair discount for advance payment.

My personal feelings are that if I am putting my company name on something, then it is representing my company and giving the files to a customer to edit could be quite risky - What if there hosting is slow or bad? That would make you look bad.

Hosting the tours for your customers would make you company "full-service" and you would save them a lot of time - I think that most people will enjoy that even if it costs them a little extra money. - If you move to hosting your tours and someone complains you can always make an exception for that client and let them host. Personally I have never given the files away to be hosted by anyone else though.

-------------
Will Best
Virtual Impressions Inc.
Real Estate Virtual Tours and Floor Plans

Message posted by jonpaul on April-16-2007 at 11:33am
jonpaul
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
March-22-2005
17 Posts

All very valid points (good advice)

Jonpaul

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on April-17-2007 at 5:51am
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi Jonpaul & Thatone1785

Your arguments are very good. I guess my main motivation and most important arguments why I host the tours would / should be that

1) I can deliver a much more professional product, with an added value. 

2) It makes it easier for the client. - Just have to insert a link.

Now my only concern is to find / make a template that I can use to al my customers - with few adjustments.

Do any of you use a loading / welcome page?? I would love to see a couple of examples to get inspired.

Best regards

Morten

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen
- a newbie trying to improve

Message posted by jonpaul on April-17-2007 at 4:08pm
jonpaul
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
March-22-2005
17 Posts

Hi Morten

Best thing to do is design a standard skin making sure you keep a copy of your background image.

Keep the skin simple so that all you have to do for each customer is change the background color of the skin to your customers primery color, then simply add their logo.

Spend time looking at some of the good example done by others on this forum you will find their designs quite inspiring.

I wanted to market some local real estate business and sent each customer i whent after a sample tour done in thier own color scheme. I tghink i saw the simply design some where on this forum. I sent out 5 example all the same and won 3 new customers.

http://www.vr-360tours.co.uk/dhirst/sample/welcome.html

Hope this helps

Jonpaul

Message posted by mskp on April-17-2007 at 6:21pm
View mskp's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by mskp Search   Quote mskp Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
mskp
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

September-14-2006
329 Posts

Hi, Jonpaul,

Congratulations, nice tour. Good idea the thumbnails with the mouse over efect. Another way of showing the same. What equipment are you using?

Regards, Martin

Message posted by jonpaul on April-17-2007 at 6:49pm
jonpaul
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
March-22-2005
17 Posts

Nikon D70, D200, 10.5mm fisheye (Nikon 2.8) SPH 303 head

Sometimes i may use D70, Agnos MRot b with Nikon E9 Fisheye depends on payment for work.

Mainly only ever produce 360 x 180 type tours as i can never understand why people would want to look at their feet the light fittings unless a building as feature floors or ceilings. Then I see the point.

I have done a lot of 360 x 360 but the gen feed back is that people get disorientate by them. You would be surprised by how many people can not use their mouse properly. Also allows me to be more competitive on price as the workflow is less. Really down to what the client is happy with and wants to pay for.

360 x 360 are the best if the clients want to pay a fair price for your time. But the main thing is to give a good clear image and to show off what ever the client is trying to showcase.

Jonpaul

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register