Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Tourweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: special characters in file names Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by mstoss on June-19-2007 at 6:47am
View mstoss's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by mstoss Search   Visit mstoss's Homepage www   Quote mstoss Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
mstoss
Gold Member
Gold Member
Germany
December-26-2006
141 Posts
EDIT START: It's so funny, not even this forum software is able to recognize special characters... The term "Kche" below should read "K'-special german character-'che"
EDIT END

When I want to use a descriptive thumbnail name in German like: "Kche" (Kueche, kitchen), the scene name is updated as well - and so is the final (damned jpe format) file name. This will say, I have a file like "kche.jpe" on my server.

EP says, that this is no problem. If a tour is working locally, it works as fine on the server. After all what I know, characters like ", , , " or other international special characters are not valid file name characters.

Take a look at these two tour examples (fullscreen (immervision) and object (ptviewer) tabs don't work, it's only a demonstration for use of special characters)

http://die-panorama-seite.de/umlaute/umlaute.html
http://die-panorama-seite.de/noumlaute/noumlaute.html

The tours are saved in different folders with and without special characters in the file names - You will soon find out which one is which. Both tours are working locally.

Anyone else confirming this with non-english language tours?

Yours,
Michael

-------------
http://www.premiumpano.de

Message posted by mstoss on June-20-2007 at 10:22am
View mstoss's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by mstoss Search   Visit mstoss's Homepage www   Quote mstoss Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
mstoss
Gold Member
Gold Member
Germany
December-26-2006
141 Posts
After having had a look at the examples, EP says, that this IS a problem. They recommend to "better avoid such special characters"

For all of you english speakers, can you imagine what it means to avoid a word like "kitchen" in your tours?

Yours,
Michael

-------------

Message posted by callgary on June-21-2007 at 4:58am
View callgary's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by callgary Search   Quote callgary Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
callgary
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
November-19-2002
59 Posts
I have found this to be a REAL PROBLEM as well. And its not just with special characters. Due to compatibility issues with various platforms, browsers, etc. it is best to avoid uppercase characters and spaces as well as such things as commas apostrophe, ampersand, etc. Yet these are all desirable and useful characters to use in scene names. Unfortunately, TW2 changes your FILENAME to whatever you input as your SCENE NAME! For instance, I add a scene of a living room and dining room. Its filename is 10076_lr_dr. Of course 10076_lr_dr is meaningless as a scene name, so I name the scene Spacious Living & Dining Rooms. TW2 promptly replaces the filename 10076_lr_dr with Spacious Living & Dining Rooms, ultimately resulting in an invalid filename (because of the ampersand).   I feel this is a flaw in the program and a major nuisance- I just haven't had time yet to submit a bug report about it.

-------------
callgary
E-mail Gary
Every moment is a learning experience. What have I learned today? What have I taught today?

Message posted by mstoss on June-21-2007 at 6:17am
mstoss
Gold Member
Gold Member
Germany
December-26-2006
141 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by callgary on June-21-2007
I have found this to be a REAL PROBLEM as well. And its not just with special characters. Due to compatibility issues with various platforms, browsers, etc. it is best to avoid uppercase characters and spaces as well as such things as commas apostrophe, ampersand, etc. Yet these are all desirable and useful characters to use in scene names. Unfortunately, TW2 changes your FILENAME to whatever you input as your SCENE NAME! For instance, I add a scene of a living room and dining room. Its filename is 10076_lr_dr. Of course 10076_lr_dr is meaningless as a scene name, so I name the scene Spacious Living & Dining Rooms. TW2 promptly replaces the filename 10076_lr_dr with Spacious Living & Dining Rooms, ultimately resulting in an invalid filename (because of the ampersand).   I feel this is a flaw in the program and a major nuisance- I just haven't had time yet to submit a bug report about it.

I expected this to be true as well, but did not check this time, because EP explicitely told me in the first answer, that I could use real description names, including all kind of special characters, spaces etc. I just wanted to proof this to be wrong for special characters with my example.

It's as easy as this: I know of NO programmer who would ever use file names with capitals, spaces, special characters - EP programmers do.

When I arange my files, store files in archives etc I have to be able to use names with e.g. timestamp, project name hints, scene descriptions in short, file count numbers etc. When I publish my files I will want to give them a nice name for the user. Both is very important.

Yours,
Michael

-------------

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register