Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Tourweaver

Subject Topic: Cropped spherical Flash issue Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by areimer on October-28-2007 at 6:12pm
View areimer's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by areimer Search   Visit areimer's Homepage www   Quote areimer Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
areimer
Standard Member
Standard Member
Canada
January-11-2007
54 Posts

I have only one major problem with TW3 Flash Version, which I have noticed so far.

I have presented this in the User Panel and have received feedback but for some reason, the people who have looked at this are not on the same page.

I work with two types of sphericals, those which are complete 360X 180 and those which have been cropped horizontally so are 360 degrees wide but less than 180 in height.  The java version of the viewer handles the geometry of these the same way so the only difference from the site visitors perspective, is that in the latter case, the vertical tilt is limited. 

In the flash version on the other hand, the full sphere (360 X 180) works properly in flash but in the case of the partial sphere (360 X Less than 180) the program automatically crops the image vertically so as to create a 2:1 aspect ratio so that it can run as a full sphere.  This makes it work from the program point of view but wrecks the image from the viewers point of view.

The suggestion to me was to publish as a cylinder.  The problem with this is that when spherical geometry is displayed as a cylinder, horizontal lines become curved, the degree of which is directly related to the distance above or below the horizon. 

Am I the only one who has an issue with this?

Is this something, which can be resolved from an application programming point of view or will I have to put a top on all of the images that I publish in Flash.

-------------
Alan R
www.enviroscopics.com

Message posted by 360texas on October-28-2007 at 7:50pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Hi Areimer,

Please show us your image on your site... that way we too can look at them and decide how to help you.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by smooth on October-29-2007 at 12:21am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

The easiest answer is to convert the cropped spherical image to cylindrical using Panotools or another program.

The program is designed to show real spherical images and real cylindrical images not modified forms of each. The fact that it maps OK in Java is a bonus.

I know that Photovista can convert projections.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by areimer on October-29-2007 at 1:00am
View areimer's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by areimer Search   Visit areimer's Homepage www   Quote areimer Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
areimer
Standard Member
Standard Member
Canada
January-11-2007
54 Posts

You can view the image comparrisons below beginning with the full spherical and then the same image cropped as it would be if stitched from a single row of 10.5 mm images and then as  a cylindrical output.

First in Java

http://www.enviroscopics.com/TW3FlashTest/applet/

Then in Flash Output

http://www.enviroscopics.com/TW3FlashTest/flashvr/

What I am hoping for, is to get an answer from a programmer as to whether or not it is possible for the TW3.? product to be programmed to achieve the same projection properties as the java product or is this a problem with Flash programming which can not be surmounted.

-------------
Alan R
www.enviroscopics.com

Message posted by maxxnas on October-29-2007 at 6:00am
View maxxnas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by maxxnas Search   Visit maxxnas's Homepage www   Quote maxxnas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
maxxnas
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-11-2007
81 Posts

Alan,

I understand your problem and I have been working on the issue with Joe Rao.  I'm posting the email I sent to him as well as his reply...

Joe,

I'm sending you to some links of the virtual tours.  In Tourweaver 3.0 For each pano I have set the Tilt Min to (-70) <--to remove the tripod and the Tilt Max to (90) to show full ceiling.   There is an error in the software which is preventing the full (90) of the ceiling. 

Here is a link to show you an example....

Additionally, if I were to make a flash virtual tour in Panoweaver 5.00, it would work as normal.

Here is a link to show you an example of proper (90) ceiling and (-70) floor created in Panoweaver.

My customers are complaining because they were use to seeing a FULL CEILING in Tourweaver 1.3.  and they are not getting that in TW3.0.  It appears that when you set Tilt Min to (-70) and the Tilt Max to (90) the software is automatically making both values (-70).  I,  like many design firms that do alot of virtual tours don't have time to stitch a bottom image and won't use a bottom cap because it looks unprofessional.   The easiest solution was to always limit the floor hiding the tripod area.

-------------

web design • virtual tours • photography • video
www.nastudios.com

Message posted by smooth on October-29-2007 at 7:28am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

I believe these are two separate issues.

One is cropping a spherical image and expecting it to display with automatic crop limits and keep correct projection. The other is trying to limit the view of a spherical image by using the tilt min - max controls.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by areimer on October-29-2007 at 12:58pm
areimer
Standard Member
Standard Member
Canada
January-11-2007
54 Posts

Thanks for the feedback Nas.  If nothing else; its nice to know that someone out there shares my frustration with this.  I generally like what Easypano is trying to achieve but I think they need to pay more attention to what their product users are saying.

The tilt limiting function was the first attempt to circumvent the partial sphere issue but I also found that this did not work properly.  I would be happy with a suitable way to work around the problem until they have the primary issue resolved but anything which adds time to my workflow would not be welcome and I would just stay with Java.

Alan

-------------
Alan R
www.enviroscopics.com

Message posted by maxxnas on November-02-2007 at 1:07am
View maxxnas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by maxxnas Search   Visit maxxnas's Homepage www   Quote maxxnas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
maxxnas
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-11-2007
81 Posts

Just to let Everyone know.  The Tilt Min/Max issue has been resolved with the latest update of Tourweaver Version: 3.00.071029.  I would like to thank EasyPano for their efforts in correcting this error.

-------------

web design • virtual tours • photography • video
www.nastudios.com

Message posted by areimer on November-07-2007 at 5:27pm
areimer
Standard Member
Standard Member
Canada
January-11-2007
54 Posts

Yes, the tilt issue is fixed, which is great.  It makes the functionality of the program acceptable for commercial use.  It also allows me to use horizontally cropped images in the spherical mode by publishing in the 2:1 ratio and limiting the vertical tilt to 60 degrees up or down.

It would still be good to see the flash version able to interpret partial spheres as the java version does.  Please keep this on the burner for future rebuilds of the program

-------------
Alan R
www.enviroscopics.com

Message posted by Guillaume on November-21-2007 at 1:24pm
View Guillaume's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Guillaume Search   Quote Guillaume Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Guillaume
Standard Member
Standard Member
France
October-04-2007
10 Posts
I'm waiting for that too.

Partial cylindricals can't be shown correctly with Flash.
So, I render a spherical equirectangular and limit axis in TW

Guillaume

Edit : I spoke too fast ... I though it will work, but in fact, the pano is shown in a completly weird state

I'm really annoyed with that. I don't want to shoot full 360 each time I want to make a pano

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register