Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Tourweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Need recommendations on where to purchase Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by realtor jerry on May-14-2008 at 11:03am
View realtor jerry's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by realtor jerry Search   Visit realtor jerry's Homepage www   Quote realtor jerry Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
realtor jerry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
April-22-2007
880 Posts

I have decided it's time to take the plunge and move up to the DSLR family. I have decided after much research and reading the advice of forum members to purchase the Nikon D300 and Nikon 10.5 AF fisheye f/2.8G ED AF lens.
Have a few questions:
1. Has anyone ever dealt with this company they seem to have the best prices.
2. What is a good over-all Nikon lens to use for my wide angle still shots, mostly real estate?
3. I remember reading in this forum something about shaving the lens shade on the 10.5, is this required to shoot pano's?
4. If you have anymore input in regards to my choice please let me know I don't want to make an expensive mistake. The wife would never let me live it down!

Thanks for any advice.

-------------
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on May-14-2008 at 4:56pm
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi Jerry

Congratulation with your decision to plunge in to the world of DSLR. I took the same step not long ago, where I came from the same set-up as you. I now wish I had taken the decision much earlier as the improvement in image quality is un comparable.

I can't tell you much about your choise of new equipment as I went the other way and swithched over to Canon 5D and sigma 8mm. My main reason was that I wanted to keep my workflow from the 8700 and fc-e9 taking 3 shots (bracketed) to create a panorama. The funny thing is that now I actually take 4+t but that is an other story..... But Smooth recently published a link to a panorama taken with just 3 shots with a 5D/sigma8mm. You can see it here http://smooth360.com/2008/echuca_001/ 

If your choise of rotator falls on a Agnos TCPshort, then let me know. I have a spare one, used only once that I might as well sell. I also got the RingT.

Best regards

Morten 

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen
- a newbie trying to improve

Message posted by pixelator on May-14-2008 at 5:32pm
View pixelator's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by pixelator Search   Visit pixelator's Homepage www   Quote pixelator Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts
Hey Jerry,

As far as the camera store you are looking at, I would look else where. Camera Professionals Reviewsnot looking very good in the review department.

As far as Nikon or Canon? I went with Canon and don't know a whole lot about the Nikon lens line up. My EF-S 17-85 IS does a pretty good job for shooting stills. So my guess would be to look at the Nikon comparison.

If you have not purchased, I would recommend going with Canon and the Sigma 8mm. Canon leads the way with the full frame sensor in the 5D which you could later upgrade to. I would suggest to compare the D300 to the 40D.

This is all just my opinion and I prefer Canon to Nikon.

Congrats though on making your way to DSLR

Regards,
bp

By the way, I mainly use BH Photo or Adorama for buying camera gear.

Message posted by realtor jerry on May-14-2008 at 5:39pm
View realtor jerry's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by realtor jerry Search   Visit realtor jerry's Homepage www   Quote realtor jerry Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
realtor jerry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
April-22-2007
880 Posts
Thanks Morten for the offer of the rotator. I now use the Agnos with my current set-up so will most likely go that way. That is another question I had for a later date but maybe you can answer now. I don't understand how the Ring works with the TCPshort when shooting in portrait mode with a top and bottom shot. I am getting my cash together now with some shoots I have over the next few weeks.

-------------
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

Message posted by realtor jerry on May-14-2008 at 6:02pm
realtor jerry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
April-22-2007
880 Posts
Thanks Pixelator, not very good reviews. I looked at the other sites you used and they charge full retail. Seems like there should be a decent discount dealer somewhere.

-------------

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on May-14-2008 at 6:09pm
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi Jerry

I believe that the benifit of the RingT is if  you have to use different lenses with your camera body.

Using the RingT you don't have to worry about finding the Nodal Point (No parallex Point) every time you have to switch lenses. That's a great help :)

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen
- a newbie trying to improve

Message posted by realtor jerry on May-14-2008 at 7:18pm
realtor jerry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
April-22-2007
880 Posts
Thanks Morten, after looking at the bad reviews that Pixelator sent looks like I will have to spend an extra $1,000US to get the camera. If I went with the Canon that would even cost more.

-------------

Message posted by realtor jerry on May-18-2008 at 11:56am
realtor jerry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
April-22-2007
880 Posts
Anyone else have any suggestions on where to purchase at a reasonable price? Hate to pay retail but don't want to get taken either.

-------------

Message posted by Hawkaye007 on May-19-2008 at 11:20am
View Hawkaye007's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Hawkaye007 Search   Visit Hawkaye007's Homepage www   Quote Hawkaye007 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Hawkaye007
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-18-2007
44 Posts

Jerry,

Congrats on the move up!  I just recently made the same move myself, but from a Nikon 4500 w/fisheye to a D200 w/10.5.  The improvement is leaps and bounds beyond my expectations.  That being said, I'm a frugal and oft trusting shopper.  The upgrade for myself was right at $1300 for both the body and lens.  I'd love the D300 with live preview, but just wasn't to be yet.  Great setup.  Doesn't really matter if you go with Canon or Nikon, both are great tools that do a great job.  You'll get great results with either.  BTW, you going to take Morten up on his offer of the TCPShort and ring?  If not, I may have to see if he still has them :)

-------------
Cheers
Donald Hill
don@Our360World.com
Our360World.com
Nikon D200 | Nikon 10.5 | Nodal Ninja 5L | PW 5 | TW 3

Message posted by pixelator on May-19-2008 at 12:44pm
View pixelator's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by pixelator Search   Visit pixelator's Homepage www   Quote pixelator Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts

Hey Jerry,

Canon has rebates going until July 19 at consumer retail stores.  You can get $200.00 off the 40D.  Other rebate prices can be found HERE

Regard,
pixel

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register