Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Tourweaver

Subject Topic: limits of hdr Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by chip on August-18-2008 at 6:13pm
View chip's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by chip Search   Quote chip Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
chip
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
August-09-2008
43 Posts

a lot of going back and forth in my first threads, im just finding my direction so please be patient with me,

In real estate (or whatever you Yanks call it) what makes a photo stand out from the competition on internal shots is the bright external sunlight to be well balanced with the light within the room,

HDR is the answer to all our prayers, or is it? 

I am finding out from my limited experience that in very high contrast situations HDR is to problematic, with bleed artifacts,halos etc, and requiring a lot of post processing,

Being based in Spain high contrast is something i have to endure 10 months of the year :-)

i have tried a very high contras window shot with many combinations of exposures, and on a few different hdr software packages, all of the results have been poor if i go for good outside quality,  and just reasonable if i go for average exposure (in /out)

So back to photography 1on1, you would increase the internal ambient light to match the external ambient light by introducing artificial light, (not rocket science)so i go to my photography draw and pull out 4 speedlights 2 light stands and 4 shoot through umbrellas,(its a big draw) set up and take a pic (maybe 50) of my high contrast window, hey presto a perfectly balanced shot

so if this is all wrapped up why am i posting?

Introducing so much artificial light will introduce many problems of its own, practibility, portability, time, color temp, shadows and possibly flattening the image,

My inexperienced thoughts are to introduce less artificial light and still do bracketed hdr shots, trying  to get the best of both worlds and cut down on post processing,

I have ruled out any form of constant light or studio strobe system because of the practicability of wires or large battery packs being carried around

onto speedlights, the 8mm on a crop or 10mm on your ff is too wide for a speed light to cover, so a shoot through umbrella and the bounced back light will cover adequately, but at possibly 2/4 stops difference adding this light will cause shadows, adding 2 light stands at 45o will minimise shadows, on a single shot this would be fine, but in producing a tour you will have changing shadow areas, can the stitching software cope with this?

obviously the quality of the tour will be determined by the intended market, but i feel you have to be 100% sure in your abilities before you approach the market,

what are your thoughts on HDR? and do you think my comments are crap? would you pay me to take your pictures?(metaphorically speaking)

Steve

Message posted by Vince on August-18-2008 at 7:08pm
View Vince's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Vince Search   Quote Vince Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Vince
Gold Member
Gold Member

August-13-2007
194 Posts
look here

http://easypano.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=10&TopicID=4035&PagePosition=1

Message posted by tbrusson on August-19-2008 at 4:05am
View tbrusson's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by tbrusson Search   Quote tbrusson Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
tbrusson
Gold Member
Gold Member
France
October-23-2006
164 Posts
This topic has been discussed many times.

Unless you use pano for 3D realistic rendering purpose, you don't need to go HDR.

Enfused images (google "enfuse", there is a few software who use this tech, some free, some not like bracketeer for mac)are sufficient and less trouble to handle (hdr files are 32 bits and can not be displayed on a normal display; beside the process is more complicated to achive good result)

thierry

Message posted by realtor jerry on August-19-2008 at 9:06am
View realtor jerry's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by realtor jerry Search   Visit realtor jerry's Homepage www   Quote realtor jerry Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
realtor jerry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
April-22-2007
880 Posts

Hi Chip, I use the bracket method in everything I shoot, VT's or stills. I find the brightest spot in the room, usually a window and drop 1 setting from what the camera says is normal. That is now my starting point then I take the 5 brackets. I end up with -2, -1, 0, +1, +2 EV. This will normally take care of the blown out windows. In photomatix you can tone it down some to look like a normal shot without the HDR effect.
I stitch my scenes before I take them into Photomatix and then finish in Photoshop.

-------------
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register