Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Tourweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Sigma 8mm Vs Sigma 4.5mm Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by ddietrich on August-25-2008 at 2:23pm
View ddietrich's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by ddietrich Search   Quote ddietrich Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
ddietrich
Standard Member
Standard Member
Brazil
July-28-2008
66 Posts

Hi people,

Tired of taking almos 50 pictures of one scene, i decided to go wide! :)
Im looking for 8 or 4.5mm sigma. Is it a good choice?

Im with a 450D, so, if I use the 4.5mm full circle will I have enough resolution for full screen??

Does anyone have one of these?
Could talk about them?
Put examples?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Daniel

Message posted by rfh12002 on August-25-2008 at 4:07pm
View rfh12002's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by rfh12002 Search   Visit rfh12002's Homepage www   Quote rfh12002 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
rfh12002
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

July-07-2005
770 Posts

Hi there

This has been answered before but I can't remember the thread names I'm afraid. I do seem to remember that the 4.5 isn't anywhere near as well thought of as the 8mm.

Hope this summary helps.

-------------
sales@actualeducation.co.uk
www.actualeducation.co.uk

Message posted by Vince on August-25-2008 at 4:19pm
View Vince's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Vince Search   Quote Vince Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Vince
Gold Member
Gold Member

August-13-2007
194 Posts
I asked the same question here.
Vince

Message posted by Westerross on August-25-2008 at 5:06pm
View Westerross's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Westerross Search   Visit Westerross's Homepage www   Quote Westerross Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Westerross
Standard Member
Standard Member
Portugal
August-18-2008
3 Posts
I have both but only use the 4.5mm in very small spaces when it can be quite useful, bathrooms etc. where it gives good perspective and low distortion

I would say full screen quality is marginal although the colour quality is very good. It is a very fast lens and performs well at F4. Have not had any stitching problems from 3 shots.

The 8.5mm is very good and just doing 4+top is quick.

Have you thought of the full frame 10mm fisheye for even higher definition?

If your just buying one lens go for the 8mm and take great care in setting up the tripod with the best nodal point position you can.

Cheers

John

-------------

Westerross
Panoramic Portugal.com
Producers of Panoramic Virtual Tours and Photography for the Hospitality, Retail, Real Estate and Construction Industries.

www.panoramicportugal.com

Message posted by ddietrich on August-25-2008 at 5:30pm
View ddietrich's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by ddietrich Search   Quote ddietrich Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
ddietrich
Standard Member
Standard Member
Brazil
July-28-2008
66 Posts

Hi John,

Thanks for your answer!!

I do have already a 18mm, but I need faster and better results (less stitching problems = less time in photoshop).

With the 8mm, how should I capture the scene?
Wich angles? You said 4 pictures. Does it cover nadir and zenith?
Could you please send me a sample set with the 8mm?

Considering i have 12mp on each photo, what would be my output resolution using the 4.5?

About the 10mm, the problem is that my 450D have the 1.6 crop factor.
Considering ill stay with it for at least some several months, 10mm wouldnt be the solutions, isnt it? or did I understand it wrong??

Thank you very much!!

Daniel

Message posted by Westerross on August-25-2008 at 6:32pm
View Westerross's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Westerross Search   Visit Westerross's Homepage www   Quote Westerross Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Westerross
Standard Member
Standard Member
Portugal
August-18-2008
3 Posts
Hi Daniel,

The Sigma 10mm F2.8 is full frame with an APC size sensor as in Nikon D70 etc. I think your camera is he same sensor size.

The 4.5mm I would say is not good enough if you are looking for full screen with good resolution. The resolution would be about 6mp on each photo.

However my recommendation is to go for the Sigma 8mm, especially if you are doing a lot of internals

Take 4 horizontal shots at 90 degrees and one vertical for the top at the position of the last horizontal shot.

I don't take a bottom shot as you only get the tripod there and it can be covered easily with a cap or sorted in photoshop.

If you look at our Webpage the tours on the home and products pages were both taken with the 8mm.

If your Email will take the file sizes I could send you a set of 8mm tomorrow or we could use MSN,

John

-------------

Westerross
Panoramic Portugal.com
Producers of Panoramic Virtual Tours and Photography for the Hospitality, Retail, Real Estate and Construction Industries.

www.panoramicportugal.com

Message posted by ddietrich on August-25-2008 at 11:34pm
ddietrich
Standard Member
Standard Member
Brazil
July-28-2008
66 Posts

Hi John,

Just read about the 10mm F2.8. Its 167 with the Canon sensor. (APC) and 180 with Nikon
Although I loved the full frame (rectangular) 167, its hard to find here.

Im very intended to go with the sigma 8mm.

Itd be veeeeeeeeery nice if you could send me these samples to work with.

THAAAAAAAAANKS!

Daniel

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register