Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Tourweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Need some computer purchase help Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by realtor jerry on May-06-2009 at 4:14pm
View realtor jerry's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by realtor jerry Search   Visit realtor jerry's Homepage www   Quote realtor jerry Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
realtor jerry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
April-22-2007
880 Posts
Am about to pull the trigger on a new computer purchase and need some advice. The main purpose of the new computer will be to do photography/virtual tour work. I will be running such programs as PS CS4, Photomatix, Panoweaver, Tourweaver and various other programs. With my laptop about all I can run is one program at a time and I need to be multitasking.
I am looking at:
Computer
Monitor
Will be running 2 of the 23" monitors.
Will all my programs run on 64 bit??
Would like to hear what folks that run these types of programs think of this equipment. Will this do the job? I am a PC and HP guy so that is one reason for my choice but just need to make sure that it's not lacking something important. Don't want to overlook something that I will need later. The wife would kill me!

-------------
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!

Message posted by tturner on May-06-2009 at 10:31pm
View tturner's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by tturner Search   Quote tturner Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
tturner
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
March-09-2005
67 Posts

Jerry,

Check out monitor types before you buy.  Different technology is better for different uses.  Here is an explanation link.   http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

Here is a place to look up the different types.
http://www.flatpanels.dk/   click English in upper right corner.

Did not find your monitor listed there but all of the HP monitors in the same model line as your selection were "TN" types that are not the best for graphics and accurate color representation.

Happy hunting,
TTurner

Message posted by Rob63 on May-07-2009 at 8:12am
View Rob63's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Rob63 Search   Visit Rob63's Homepage www   Quote Rob63 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Rob63
Gold Member
Gold Member
United States
January-30-2007
200 Posts

Personally, I'd wait until Microsofts new operating system is released, and I'd look at a Dell XPS from the Dell Outlet

Not sure you want a 64 bit operating system, but could be wrong about this.

Rob

Message posted by realtor jerry on May-07-2009 at 11:22am
View realtor jerry's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by realtor jerry Search   Visit realtor jerry's Homepage www   Quote realtor jerry Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
realtor jerry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
April-22-2007
880 Posts
Thanks for the advice on the monitors, I'll check it out.
As for the 64 bit, that seems to be the way things are going. Checked with Easypano support and they assure all my EP programs will work on the 64 bit and vista home premium. As for the new operating system, I was told that if you have vista home premium you will be able to upgrade to windows 7.

-------------
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

Message posted by Thatone1785 on May-07-2009 at 11:19pm
View Thatone1785's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Thatone1785 Search   Visit Thatone1785's Homepage www   Quote Thatone1785 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Thatone1785
Gold Member
Gold Member
United States
June-10-2006
154 Posts
Jerry,

I bought a system with the same AMD Phenom processor thinking that it would out perform the Athlon 64 x2 processor... Not the case. Same amount of RAM and hard disk speed and heavy processes like opening huge tif files in photoshop and stitching large panoramas, slower with the AMD Phenom... I would suggest that you look into an Intel processor as they seem to be out performing anything AMD these days - This is hard for me to say because I've always been a fan of AMD products... You will spend more on an Intel machine, but it's worth it.

-------------
Will Best
Virtual Impressions Inc.
Real Estate Virtual Tours and Floor Plans

Message posted by smooth on May-08-2009 at 5:35am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

I say wait awhile longer.

I have an Intel Q6700 Quad Core 2.67GHz running 4GB ram 2x 10,000RPM Raptor hard drives and I must say I've never really been happy with it. 32 Bit.

Be warned 64 Bit PC's will not run Quicktime (if that is important to you!) There is a work around but regular customers will never follow this pattern. Apple needs to pull it's finger out.

My old AMD 64 Athlon is only slightly slower.

Better must be on the horizon you would think.

Regards, Smooth 

Message posted by realtor jerry on May-08-2009 at 9:22am
realtor jerry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
April-22-2007
880 Posts
Thanks for all the info, now I'm really confused. What to do What to do.
I need a new computer desperately, My laptop is very slow with all I'm trying to do on it.
Anyone have any suggestions for a NOW purchase? I am stuck on HP and Windows. Help me spend my money!

-------------

Message posted by smooth on May-08-2009 at 9:49am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

HP and Compaq are the same company so don't discount Compaq products.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by TourRook on May-10-2009 at 1:16am
View TourRook's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by TourRook Search   Quote TourRook Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
TourRook
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
June-27-2008
18 Posts

Try a Systemax @ www.tigerdirect.com . Thats what I use and works excellent although my Tour work is probably not as involved as yours.

-------------
TourRook

Message posted by *tking* on May-13-2009 at 3:52am
View *tking*'s Profile Profile   Search for other posts by *tking* Search   Visit *tking*'s Homepage www   Quote *tking* Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
*tking*
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
March-15-2009
11 Posts
Hi Jerry
Mac Pro is the way if you can afford it.
The new iMac with 8GB ram is powerful too.
Ones you get used to it You'll never look back to windows.
I had windows os for many years. I switched to mac 3 years ago (Mac Book Pro 4GB).
I love it. It is fast, easy to use and there is no virus issues. You can run windows on it.
I use the built in Boot Camp to run windows. I need it for TW. Easypano says they will release the mac version of tw4 in this fall.
No more switching between mac and windows!

-------------
tking

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register