Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Tourweaver

Subject Topic: loosing resolution in preview Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by LVPhotoGroup on August-15-2010 at 9:09pm
View LVPhotoGroup's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by LVPhotoGroup Search   Quote LVPhotoGroup Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
LVPhotoGroup
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
August-06-2010
7 Posts
I noticed that the scenes that I put into TW are at a lower resolution when viewed in preview. Will they be at full resolution when I publish for CD?

-------------
We make the world look round.

Message posted by smooth on August-16-2010 at 1:02am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Hmm, that is not so. The preview is displaying the input. What you see is what you get. Please explain what size you are inputting and why you feel you are seeing a lower resolution. Maybe a link to the published tour?

Regards, Smooth [8D]

Message posted by LVPhotoGroup on August-16-2010 at 1:55am
View LVPhotoGroup's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by LVPhotoGroup Search   Quote LVPhotoGroup Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
LVPhotoGroup
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
August-06-2010
7 Posts
I think that I misspoke and figured out what was going on.
I am using Pano2QTVR to convert my equirectangular to cubic so that I can take the nadir and cover the tripod with a graphic.

The problem is when I take those cubic images and turn them back to equirectangular. the original is 300dpi and the cubic and modified equirectangular end up being 72dpi. That makes things too fuzzy.

Message posted by smooth on August-17-2010 at 10:11am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

This doesn't make a lot of sense I'm afraid.

300dpi information is "just a number" (you can type anything in there).

Where people get confused is with pixels vs dots. Dots are shown on a computer monitor and have "nothing" to do with printing. Printing information is PPI (pixels per inch)

What makes it more confusing is that people and software developers say DPI when they actually mean PPI.

The thing that confuses people is the "resampling" that is done to meet a DPI or PPI target. Test this in Photoshop with "Resample Image" turned off. You can change the number without the image changing size (or the pixel count).

If your image in size is 5000 pixels it makes no difference if the DPI information is 300dpi or 72dpi or any other number. It is still 5000 pixels and that's what counts. Print it and you are telling the printer to print it with 72ppi or 300ppi. Obviously, 300ppi will be better with more pixels printed in every inch. Display it on a computer monitor you cannot see any difference between 96dpi and 300dpi the image remains the same 5000 pixel count image.

If you have an image that is 5000 pixels and 300dpi as the input and after you convert the image to .jpg it is now 5000 pixels and 72dpi the fact is the image is still the same based on the dpi alone (only the printer instructions have changed).

Clear as mud.

Regards, Smooth [8D]

Message posted by smooth on August-17-2010 at 10:40am
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Now, DPI and PPI aside.

You are modifying the image when you convert from one format to another and this is done via interpolation. Different interpolators effect images in different ways.

Anytime you are going to manipulate an image (photograph) you should keep your workflow in a non lossy format. I prefer .tif and more than that I prefer 16 bit .tif files.

At the end the image will always be displayed as a .jpg (or .jpg cubes) but this should always be the very final conversion and there are most certainly best practice ways to get the final .jpg result from your near perfect 16bit .tif files.

Regards, Smooth [8D]

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register