Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Tourweaver

Subject Topic: fps and quality issues should be solved Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by madmux on May-05-2011 at 3:53am
View madmux's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by madmux Search   Visit madmux's Homepage www   Quote madmux Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
madmux
Standard Member
Standard Member
Lithuania
August-03-2010
246 Posts
Hi there,

Some good news for us i found today in internet. Adobe is working on its player to take advantage of GPU acceleration.
Here is a link to Adobe Molehill project:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplatformruntimes/incubator/
And here some reports of performance:
http://iflash3d.com/performance/how-fast-is-molehill/
What does it mean for us, mortals? Quality and performance (smooth experiences). Now quality and performance are bound togeather. Developers must choose a compromise for quality OR performance. The more detail sphere is created by panorama viewer - more quality you get. Otoh, it affects rendering time.
Now that we will have GPU acceleration - it would be not an issue at all as today graphic accellerators can handle hudred times more sophisticated scenes. You even might use 3D models within your tours.

Hope EP will take advantage of upcomming flash player features :) Also i hope that flash player also will take advantage of smartphone GPU acceleration and i would be able to forget html5 which is not ready yet to be used (maybe except stripped version for iphones).

Best wishes,
Madmux

-------------
My Tourweaver components: http://www.optitecha.lt/categories/3

Message posted by DominiqueGEORGE on May-05-2011 at 5:38am
View DominiqueGEORGE's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by DominiqueGEORGE Search   Visit DominiqueGEORGE's Homepage www   Quote DominiqueGEORGE Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
DominiqueGEORGE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Belgium
August-19-2009
285 Posts

Quote: Originally posted by madmux on May-05-2011

.... Developers must choose a compromise for quality OR performance. The more detail sphere is created by panorama viewer - more quality you get. Otoh, it affects rendering time.
Now that we will have GPU acceleration - it would be not an issue at all as today graphic accellerators can handle hudred times more sophisticated scenes. ....

Best wishes,
Madmux

Hi Madmux,

I do not totally agree with this !

What do you mean by quality ?  Is it programming quality or visual result quality ?
For me (Senior IT consultant for more than 25 years now), we are facing to a real lack of programmers quality !
They are using heavy frameworks, able of doing everything and its reverse, but consuming huge of resources.
A GOOD programmer is somebody, writing his own code, using really well known libraries, able to tune its code.
Giving such new version of Adobe player to such a guy will be fantastic.

But, if you use poor and innefficient programmers, this news will just give them the opportunity to say : "Hey man, you see, I'm the best !" while they are just less than nothing !
There are so many programmers of this second category, too many.

They are the virus of the IT world !

Because of them, really good programmers have less and less job, and have to reduce their salary ... and company stupidly trust these cheap programmers.

Did you already noticed that the more powerfull the hardware becomes, the more resources eater the applications becomes, and for a result which is not proportional to the HW power evolution.

Bref, if it is, indeed a good news it can have worst effect than expected ! 

Best regards,
Dominique

-------------
Nikon D300s - Nikor 10.5 - (PW7 Pro + TW6 Pro) - W7 Ultim - DELL Prceision M6400 (Quad Core - 8GB - 2x160GB-SSD)

Message posted by madmux on May-06-2011 at 1:54am
View madmux's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by madmux Search   Visit madmux's Homepage www   Quote madmux Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
madmux
Standard Member
Standard Member
Lithuania
August-03-2010
246 Posts
Thanks for your opinion Dominique,

I was refering to quality as a visual result. It depends on how detailed the sphere model is which is covered by the panoramic image texture.

While i agree (mostly) with you regarding the good programmers, even they can not do much today because of flash limitations. What's why we don't have impressive 3D content in flash for now.

Best wishes,
Madmux

-------------
My Tourweaver components: http://www.optitecha.lt/categories/3

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register