Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Tourweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Poor Performance Of Android Tours Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Nick on April-23-2012 at 8:46am
View Nick's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Nick Search   Visit Nick's Homepage www   Quote Nick Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Nick
Standard Member
Standard Member
Australia
May-08-2007
36 Posts
Has anyone thoroughly tested and built some tours that work well on the Android platform? I've built a couple of tours using both TW 6.5 and TW 7.0 and when I play them on my Asus tablet using Android versions of web browsers such as Opera, Firefox, Dolphin and the native Android browser, they are very jerky and slow to pan. Plus some of the buttons become unresponsive. I've also noticed that the image quality gets degraded very badly for some strange reason! Its like the pano image have been scaled up for some reason but they are 5000px in width, the same width I use for the Flash version tours viewed on PC's.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing when testing tours on the Android platform, or is it just my tablet for some reason.

Nick.

-------------
For the highest quality virtual tours around visit www.vrtours.com.au!

Message posted by Brazil_Business on April-23-2012 at 9:07am
View Brazil_Business's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Brazil_Business Search   Visit Brazil_Business's Homepage www   Quote Brazil_Business Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Brazil_Business
Standard Member
Standard Member
Brazil
December-13-2011
110 Posts
Hi Nick,

I have produced Tours using tw 6.5 and 7. I have to say that i have not tested for android but i will get back to you on it.

iPad, iPhone work great, but i will get back to you on the android situation.

They is however a bug on the tw 7 android tours that we are waiting for easypano to sort out.

I actually have a client who is mad android fan who i am creating 7 virtual tours for at the moment. So now i am a bit nervous thus for you previous experience. I will be making them using tw 6.5, just a side note for you.

Message posted by leescott on April-23-2012 at 3:44pm
View leescott's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by leescott Search   Visit leescott's Homepage www   Quote leescott Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
leescott
Gold Member
Gold Member
United States
November-10-2008
314 Posts
The issue is the size of the Tours and limitation of the memory on the Android devices

Try to create a tour (save the original tw file) to Your-name
Reduce the file sizes to 3000x1500
Removed any Maps, extras
Publish this to your site and put the following code to re-direct to your Mobile device (in a directory called Mobile)

var _url="";
var _bi=window.navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase();

if(_bi.indexOf("safari")>0)_url="mobile/index.html";
if(_bi.indexOf("iphone")>0 || _bi.indexOf("ipad")>0 || _bi.indexOf("ipod")>0) _url="html5/index.html";
else _url="flash/index.html";
window.location.href=_url;

-------------
Lee Scott - Nikon D3/D300/D5000 - |shaved Nikkor 10.5 mm| Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod /322RC2 Grip - Mrotator TCS |CS5 | PW7 & TW6.5 Pro
----
To err is human ... to not try is just plain lazy

Message posted by Nick on April-23-2012 at 8:24pm
View Nick's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Nick Search   Visit Nick's Homepage www   Quote Nick Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Nick
Standard Member
Standard Member
Australia
May-08-2007
36 Posts
Thanks for replying Lee and Brazil_Business. I have used TW 6.5 because TW 7.0 doesn't work with Android at the moment. It would be awesome to have tours produced in both Flash and HTML5 work with TW 7.0 bit yes EP has to fix the bugs first.

Lee, I have also tried reducing the file size of the panoramic images I am using in the tour down to 2500 px and the same poor quality results. The HTML5 tours on iphone and ipad work great and the panning smoothness and performance on both iphone and ipad are beautiful. However I'm not seeing that same quality when viewing the tour on my Android tablet. Interestingly enough if you go to Google Maps and view Google Streetview, that panning is very smooth and responsive...the way it should be. So i'm not sure what format Google is using to display Streetview (whether its Flash or HTML5) but that seems to work perfectly.

I need to try to find another Android tablet or phone to test on so as to rule out if its just my tablet or this is a common issue across all Android devices. I really don't like Android anyway as I'm an Apple fanboy, but I suppose we do need to support the Android platform as virtual tour developers.

-------------

Message posted by Brazil_Business on April-23-2012 at 9:24pm
View Brazil_Business's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Brazil_Business Search   Visit Brazil_Business's Homepage www   Quote Brazil_Business Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Brazil_Business
Standard Member
Standard Member
Brazil
December-13-2011
110 Posts
Nick,

Just to let you know, The Android software used to today is flash based. But lucky for us Apple fans Android and all the daily used browsers are trying to keep up.

So html5 will be used on android tablets/phones in the near future. so not to worry so much that it looks crap at the moment. Tw7 doesnt work on android. i believe it is because of the Flash 11, TW 6.5 was flash 9 based. Flash 11 is used for 3d imagery so i believe the coding is different hense the tours not working, i could be wrong though.

As for image reduction, anything less than 5000x2500 becomes blocky and pixelated. If you ctrl shift alt s in photoshop you can reduce the quality by 30% this is used for web based images, without losing image quality and speeds up loading times on your virtual tours.

Hope that helps

Message posted by smooth on April-23-2012 at 11:23pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by Brazil_Business on April-23-2012
So html5 will be used on android tablets/phones in the near future.

HTML5 has been supported on Android pretty much from the beginning. It is browser dependent and browsers such as Firefox and Chrome/Android default browser support HTML5 but only the superior WebGL format not the limited Apple Safari HTML5/Css3 method that Easypano's products currently only support.

Android is not behind Apple iOS it is way ahead of it, for one main reason - it supports both HTML5 and Flash. What is behind is Easypano and there Css3 Safari only based HTML5 output. Soon enough Android based phones and tablets will have a enough processing power and RAM to deal with regular desktop styled Flash tours.

Regards, Smooth [8D]  

Message posted by Brazil_Business on April-23-2012 at 11:25pm
Brazil_Business
Standard Member
Standard Member
Brazil
December-13-2011
110 Posts
Lets hope so

Message posted by Nick on April-24-2012 at 12:07am
Nick
Standard Member
Standard Member
Australia
May-08-2007
36 Posts
I look forward to the day. Come on EP...pull your finger out! We're keep up with the technology but you guys are falling behind.

-------------

Message posted by Brazil_Business on April-24-2012 at 12:44am
Brazil_Business
Standard Member
Standard Member
Brazil
December-13-2011
110 Posts
only time will tell

Message posted by mhc1 on April-27-2012 at 12:41pm
View mhc1's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by mhc1 Search   Visit mhc1's Homepage www   Quote mhc1 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
mhc1
Standard Member
Standard Member
Germany
September-24-2007
62 Posts
I just tested various oututs on Android devices.
My Samsung 7" tablet and my HTC Desire S

Both run my Flash well and equal good (od bad, if you want)
BUT the output from Pano2VR is muc much smoother then the TW 6.5 output.
TW 6.5 is quite jerky.

My testpages:
360 Gallery Pano2VR

TW 6.5 output

Some panos take some time to load due to the music, so be a little patient. :(
I cut the controller down to a the very few buttons you may need, but even with no controller or thumbs Pano2VR creates much smoother output.

I wonder if one can control the fork, so html5 will be accessed by Androids then - or do i have to change EVERY tour thats online now later for html5 & Android ????

We really live in bad times for creators like us ......

-------------
ciao

mike
360de.de

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register