Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Tourweaver

Subject Topic: Tour runs only with Microsoft Java Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Gerke on August-10-2004 at 3:36am
View Gerke's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gerke Search   Quote Gerke Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gerke
Standard Member
Standard Member
Germany
August-10-2004
3 Posts

Hi,

I have created a virtual tour and had to notice that it didn't run very well. The images were very shaky, so  I couldn't give the tour away to customers.

After some time of trying and failing to fix this, I deleted everything Sun-Java related on my system and installed the old Microsoft VM - now the tour runs very well!

I've had mail-contact with the easypano-support, at first they really tried to help me - but since I mentioned that the problem was Java-related, I never heard from them again...

Maybe I just made a mistake in creating the tour, but I can't find it. It seems to me that Tourweaver just doesn't support Sun-Java very well. If anyone knows how I can make the tour run with the latest Sun-Java version, please let me now. I believe this matter is very important since MS-Java is no longer officially available.

Thanks a lot for every hint.

Message posted by simon on August-10-2004 at 11:29am
View simon's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by simon Search   Visit simon's Homepage www   Quote simon Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
simon
Gold Member
Gold Member

January-14-2003
141 Posts

I have found similar problems running Sun Java with other applets

Personally think we should all try to forget MSJVM and concentrate on Sun Java for the future as Microsoft dumped MSJVM long ago when they launched Windows XP and it's not coming back. I can't comment on Tourweaver as I don't use it but hope that all Java developers and end users are now concentrating on finding what works best with Sun Java.

Message posted by Long on August-10-2004 at 9:25pm
View Long's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Long Search   Visit Long's Homepage www   Quote Long Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Long
Standard Member
Standard Member

December-10-2003
49 Posts

hi, Gerke

What is the dimension of your panorama? And how many memory in your computer? I think it is due to the gc of the sun jvm.

-------------
Easypano Observer

Message posted by smooth on August-11-2004 at 12:52am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

We need to list known issues with Tourweaver and Sun Java.

• Do not use NON A - to - Z and 0 - to - 9 English characters, So no symbols!
  • Some font types are not compatible (We need to make a list) stick with the standard issues like Times Roman, Verdana, Arial, Courier.

Remember this is not the fault of Tourweaver but Sun Java letting Sun Java know is the way to have these type of issue's fixed.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by Gerke on August-11-2004 at 5:40am
View Gerke's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gerke Search   Quote Gerke Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gerke
Standard Member
Standard Member
Germany
August-10-2004
3 Posts

@ Long

the viewer size is 650x400 (its supposed to run from cd). I tried different panos with different file-sizes (down to 70k). I also checked the tour on different computers, most of them are used for graphic-applications, so they should be fast enough.

@ smooth

since I don't have a clue about java-scripting I can't tell if thats my problem. I didn't write any java myself, just used Tourweaver (only Font I used is Arial).

Easypano support answered today. I'd send them my latest tour and they say it's running better than the earlier versions. They also state that Java isn't the problem, but the viewer size and rotation speed of the pano. This could be it, but I'm not really convinced...

Message posted by phoenixrising on August-11-2004 at 10:15am
View phoenixrising's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by phoenixrising Search   Quote phoenixrising Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
phoenixrising
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-16-2003
974 Posts

I have little to no java knowledge and do feel though that the product should run either way. This is surly a basic issue that would have had to been known and sorted in the pre test version. There seems little point in having a software package that only runs on some PC's due to such an issue. I've experienced the Font, Non-English character issues and am somewhat surprised that this isn't mentioned in the Easypano docmentation.

@Gerke

Hi there Gerke, I always had the feeling that java starts getting somewhat jittery over 400x300 pixels. This is a pity and is why I tend to use QT when doing larger work. (Maybe Easypano could consider a different driver for CD packages so that we can add larger panos)

-------------
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.

Message posted by yetii on August-17-2004 at 1:03am
View yetii's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by yetii Search   Visit yetii's Homepage www   Quote yetii Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
yetii
Standard Member
Standard Member
Canada
June-30-2004
6 Posts

Is your operating system XP?  I had some issues with 98 and some with XP.

98 only runs MSJVM.  Make sure you don't have Sun toggled as they will not run together.

XP, once I got the newest version, I deleted all other versions. Then made sure only Sun was toggled, as XP wanted to run elements from both, making it quirky. Once I de-toggled MSJVM, it worked fine.

There definitely is a font issue as well. It tortured me for weeks.  Even if I use a friendly font, the config file still says I'm not.  Easypano sent me a revised one to insert into tours, manually of course.

If your tours load but are clunky, my guess is memory. We have several pc's on our network and they run tours drastically different depending on the video card and memory.

Hope that helps.

I can email the config file if you like.

-------------
Regards

Message posted by Gerke on August-17-2004 at 2:30am
Gerke
Standard Member
Standard Member
Germany
August-10-2004
3 Posts

Hi again.

I had contact to live-support yesterday and they confirmed that MS usually runs better than sun. The only hint they could give was the one about viewer size and rotation speed.

There are quite massive differences between our computers as well. But since they all are using high configs, we figured the problem had to be Java. As I said, Easypano confirmed this (in relation to viewer size...). They also mentioned that the new version of Tourweaver will provide a solution for that (like using ActiveX). Unluckily it won't be available for quite some time.

@ Yetii: Yes, its XP. But we tried all settings and versions of both MS and Sun that we could think of. I don't know if your config-file will help, nontheless please send it to graessner@b-w-c.de

Thanks a lot!

Message posted by dedo on February-24-2005 at 4:43am
View dedo's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by dedo Search   Quote dedo Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
dedo
Standard Member
Standard Member
Spain
February-24-2005
11 Posts

If  Microsoft was selling XP which does not run on the recent intel CPUs, how would you feel?

Would you buy that OS?

I found this makes no sense.

Yeah OK it is just a SW and it is normal it has bugs and needs fixes, but this is like buying a car which does drive on a motorway.....

I think Easypano should really find a solution in weeks time and post it on the main page of his WEB site with an alert.

It is not enough to say next version will work.... a year time!

Meanwhile what? Are people supposed to be buy a car which run with 2 gears only?!!!

come on!

I was about to buy this program but now I take it back.... give me a good reason to do so....do not tell me maybe you get a discounted upgrade in the 2006... ?!?!?!

Dedo

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register