Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Gallery
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Object Photography Examples Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by photospherix on May-11-2005 at 4:25pm
View photospherix's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by photospherix Search   Visit photospherix's Homepage www   Quote photospherix Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
photospherix
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-11-2005
10 Posts
Here are some examples of object shot we have made at Photospherix

There are additional examples on our web site.

-------------
PhotoSpherix
360 Product Photography
http://www.photospherix.com
Object and Pano examples on the Site

Message posted by smooth on May-12-2005 at 1:01am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Great work Photospherix,

What "Object Rig" are you using to get the 5 levels?

To date I have only ever used 3 levels and thought I would build something else. I would be interested in your shooting procedure.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by photospherix on May-13-2005 at 4:10pm
View photospherix's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by photospherix Search   Visit photospherix's Homepage www   Quote photospherix Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
photospherix
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-11-2005
10 Posts
Well, I started with a transmission from a rotation table on a lathe, I added alot of 2" aluminum from an old set of bleachers that I had at the shop. I then had a couple of pieces milled to extremely tight specs and I built my first rig. It had full rotation from 0 to 180 on the horizion. I didn't like it so we built another rig same idea, bigger table for the product. The small rig works with 24"x24"24" by about 80 pounds.

The machine shop is working on our new rig (additional) that will work up to 20' x20'X 10' and the rotator will hold up to 2 ton.

With the gearing on the horizon being every 5 degrees.

-------------
PhotoSpherix
360 Product Photography

Message posted by marktold on May-19-2005 at 12:32pm
View marktold's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by marktold Search   Visit marktold's Homepage www   Quote marktold Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
marktold
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-09-2003
348 Posts

how much post production work did it take in PS to free the shots from any background?

Regards Markus

-------------
Nikon D70s, Sigma 8 mm, 4 to 12 shots, Agnos MrotatorTShort, PTGui, PS CS3, and lots of other software :-)

Message posted by photospherix on May-20-2005 at 9:40am
photospherix
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-11-2005
10 Posts
Markus,

The good news is that we have a batch script that pulls the white to the far end of the spectrum. Additionally we have worked on the camera profile of the d100 to push the end of the white curve to the VERY far end. SO a short answer is about 9 seconds per shot and about a minute and a half per full rotation. That is not bad. When we started we editied every image. Our R&D department worked for a year to work it out.

Now their are draw backs. The "small" rig will shot objects up to 2' x 2' x 2'x , but if it is a solid object, like a tackle box or a television, we can not auto correct the image.

A case in point is a tackle box we are working on right now will have to have the shadows removed from the image. This takes about 3 to 5 minutes per image. Not to bad, but in this one shot there are 1700 images. It has a large amount of animation. To make things worse, the tackle box is a demo shoot.

-------------
PhotoSpherix
360 Product Photography

Message posted by RuddersUK on June-09-2005 at 3:49pm
View RuddersUK's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by RuddersUK Search   Visit RuddersUK's Homepage www   Quote RuddersUK Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
RuddersUK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United Kingdom
July-16-2004
372 Posts
Hi photospherix. What sort of lighting do you use? we have everything set up but are stuggling with appropriate lighting. We would be greatful of any advice. thanks.

Message posted by 360texas on June-11-2005 at 5:11pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

When we did our cell phone object.. we used incondescent lights - one on the left, one on right and one over top.  I suspect you could double the light positions by light filling from the underside of the object.  Your digital camera can handle very low light.  3 100watt lamps  in a light box 1m x 1m x 1m  or 3' x 3' x 3' photo box with a solid color background drape should be sufficient. The drape should be smoothed out so there are no shadows. If your object is black... then use a white drop.  Use a high contrast color drop in relationship to the object colors.  Then in Photoshop you can do color replacement to remove the drop color.  Like blue to white.

If you wanted to get real technical try light balancing and color temperature fixing the bulbs.  Be sure to adjust the camera's white balance according to the light source.

Lighting is a whole different science that does take some study.  If you are unsure of the lighting mix suggest using a 18% gray card and tell your camera to learn what 'White' is.  I know that the Nikon 990 and the Canon 20d has a camera learn what 'White is'  mode.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by photospherix on June-13-2005 at 10:50am
photospherix
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-11-2005
10 Posts
Dave is right on the money. It gets real tricky when you move the position of the camera, but the more "small" lights that you use gets you closer to what you are looking for. With the Smaller rig, we are using 10 X 40 watt bulbs moving with the camera and 10 X 60 bulbs lighting the backdrop from the rear. This makes one large softbox for the rear of the object and controlable lighting for the lighting of the object.

With the larger objects we have moved to both florescent "uck" with color balance and/or strobes.

If you are using different light mixes, which you should not, you will have to use a grey card.

PhotoSpherix - Object VR and Panoramic QTVR builders in the Midwest.
www.photospherix.com

-------------
PhotoSpherix
360 Product Photography

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register