Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Gallery

Subject Topic: 100% Totally Hand Held Panorama Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by smooth on December-30-2007 at 9:49am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Hi Guys & Gals,

Dorin from Romania ask for me to shoot him a hand held panorama sequence of shots to test the Sigma 8mm fisheye images shot with a full size sensor camera (Canon 5D) with his new stitchless display software. What was required was 6 x shots at 60 degrees (or as close as I could do using my foot and visualization of a clock face) no nadir or zenith shots.

So late yesterday afternoon I took up the challenge and this link will show you the result. Unfortunately it was not stitched with Panoweaver because me wobbling all over the place would not be near the quality Panoweaver expects.

Still, I feel the result was pretty good considering, and honestly my first "real" attempt outdoors. I admit to trying this in my office with horrifying results in the past.   

Dorin as yet would not have received all the files as I'm sending huge .tiff format for his tests. I will (if successful) post a link to the stitchless version at a later date.

Anyway enough crapping on here is the stitched panorama link

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by rfh12002 on December-30-2007 at 1:19pm
View rfh12002's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by rfh12002 Search   Visit rfh12002's Homepage www   Quote rfh12002 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
rfh12002
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

July-07-2005
770 Posts

Oh My God!

Brilliant - better than anything I can do with a tripod and all the shennanigans...

Don't know whether to feel more jealous or in awe! Hehe

Nice work.

-------------
sales@actualeducation.co.uk
www.actualeducation.co.uk

Message posted by smooth on December-31-2007 at 12:49am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Thank you for the compliment Forrest,

I was reasonable happy with the result. Dorin has just sent me the files using his stitchless program and I must say I'm blown away.

Here is the link (images are heavily compressed)

What you must understand is that this projection is of totally unstitched images (images shot hand held) and display through Fiero's DevalVR viewer. Of course you must have DevalVR plug-in installed (Windows Only) images are called as required when panning. Sure there are some jumps etc and things disappearing from one photo to the next but I feel it adds interest to the overall scene.

Of interest will be the good looking bloke in the shadow where you can clearly see I'm holding the camera in my hands.

I can see this technology becoming very useful for real estate work or just so you can preview your images in panorama mode before deciding to stitch or not.

The main issue is that any processing of the scene must happen on the individual photographs and not a final panorama image.

What are your thoughts?

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by rfh12002 on January-01-2008 at 12:34pm
View rfh12002's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by rfh12002 Search   Visit rfh12002's Homepage www   Quote rfh12002 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
rfh12002
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

July-07-2005
770 Posts

With the exception of the car appearing and disappearing, this is a fantastic pano...

All you need are a couple of springs on your shoes and you can do without the 'pole-mounted' tours next!

In terms of time taken from photo start to completed pano, is it quicker that a tripod and the usual route?

Cheers

F

-------------

Message posted by smooth on January-01-2008 at 12:46pm
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

The items appearing disappearing etc are of course just the separate images being displayed. That is what was captured. In some cases the objects appearing and disappearing adds some visual interest, in fact "non" pano people who have viewed it though it was a fun seeing the swap.

In this case because I shot hand held the process of stitching is slower if not a bit more difficult, so I would recommend it as a way to shoot panoramas everyday. But who knows doing all the time would no doubt improve the work flow over time. Certainly you don't have to clone or patch the panohead and tripod shadow. (although as you can see in the stitchless I cast a big shadow!)

Doing stitchless panoramas with a panohead would indeed speed up the whole process.

If nothing else it was a good experiment and experience for me and thought I would share it with the Easypano forum regulars.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by rfh12002 on January-01-2008 at 2:11pm
rfh12002
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

July-07-2005
770 Posts

Cool!
What really interests me is how I can use this for my historic tours.  Going through many castle owners etc usually requires an hourly fee when taking in a triopod and for paying for the legal right to use the images.  This is great for the final shoot but I like to have it all planned out and therefore would love to go in without a tripod, take handheld shots as a tourist, hum and haw about the locations I selected and then go in for the final shoot.  This would help save time on my final, paid shoot, save the organisation time and therefore be really useful.  Obviously I wouldn't shoot a tour without paying the money but my planning is still haphazard in places I haven't yet seen so this could be an interesting option.

Cheers for flagging it up

F

-------------

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register