Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Gallery
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: The Smiling Horse Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by smooth on May-03-2008 at 1:12pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

The Smiling Horse panorama

I shot this one whilst on our 20th wedding anniversary holiday last weekend.

The scene: is in Echuca, Victoria, Australia on Anzac Day weekend 2008. This is but one of over 60 panoramas I shot over 4 days. Many stitching days to follow.....

Equipment: 3 image panorama over 7 brackets to create a fused IDR (Increased Dynamic Range) panorama using the Canon 5D and Sigma f/3.5 8mm Fisheye on an Agnos RingT and Agnos MrotatorM.

Comments?

Regards, Smooth  

Message posted by Vince on May-03-2008 at 5:02pm
View Vince's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Vince Search   Quote Vince Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Vince
Gold Member
Gold Member

August-13-2007
194 Posts
HI Smooth,
Great as always. I don't see in subject movement, did you shoot RAW to get your brackets?
Vince

Message posted by smooth on May-04-2008 at 1:24am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Hi Vince,

Yes, shot RAW as always.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by pixelator on May-04-2008 at 9:52pm
View pixelator's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by pixelator Search   Visit pixelator's Homepage www   Quote pixelator Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts

First, congratulations on 20 years of marriage   Sixteen for me this July

Nice pano as always Smooth. 

Can you give some detail why you have started using the term Increased Dynamic Range instead of HDR.  I have noticed in a couple of other post as well as others on different photography forums.

Just wondering mate

Message posted by smooth on May-05-2008 at 2:01am
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Hi Pixel,

Thanks for the congratulations. It's actually 25 years together and 20 years of marriage (same date) the wife likes things (dates) to have importance. We met at the age of 14 and 15 and have been together from that day forth. 

I coined the term IDR because simply what we do is not HDR never has been and never likely to be. HDR or HDRI is a term now being used incorrectly as really a computer screen cannot show HDR but rather a "Tone Mapping" of a HDR image. In much the same way people still incorrectly use the term Nodal Point when what they really want is the Entrance Pupil/Point (EP) or Non Parallax Point (NPP) of the lens. 

If what people are producing with odd colours and cartoonish looks are going to continue to call it HDR I'm distancing myself from it.

What I want to show is an image with Increased Dynamic Rage (IDR) that looks as nature intended with no real evidence of odd colours or fakeness via a cartoon look.

Please see:

I would say that 90+% of so called HDR offerings on the Internet are horrible in my eyes. The colour red ends up with this fake fluro orange glow that is so far from real life I can't imagine why people would be proud to show it. I know I'm not alone in my thoughts as a quick search on Google will show up many people asking why people are doing this?

Anyway, I'm rambling. I put my example up to show what I feel is an IDR panorama image for others to make comment on (Good or Bad).

Just understand that my "Fusing" of bracketed images is NOT really HDR it is Tone Mapping and done properly it is Increasing the Dynamic Range of a photographic scene. When you increase the range, it is lighting depth and exposure, it really has nothing to do with colour, except for the effect of the light falling on it.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on May-05-2008 at 4:17am
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts
Hi Smooth

Congratulation with your anniversary. What did your wife think about you going off shooting 60 panoramas at your wedding anniversary holiday??? I know what my wife would say......
But that's perhaps because we've only been married 2 years.

I love the panorama. The colors are great and very intense. There are a couple of areas that to mee are a bit too dark, but you wouldn't really be able to do anything about that with people in the scene.
Was it my panorama I would start it zoomed in a bit more.

It is expecially impressive as it was done by only 3 shots. the shaprness is much better then what I am able to produce with the same set-up shooting 4+t. Very confusing and very admirable at the same time.

Are the panoramas for personal usage or is it a paid job?

Regards
Morten

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen
- a newbie trying to improve

Message posted by smooth on May-05-2008 at 5:04am
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Hi Morten,

Mate, my wife does what's she's told! LOL Well she is well trained and loves me so it is never an issue. If I said lets walk off a cliff today you she would say OK. Really she is an amazing person and that's why I love her so much.

I also agree about the dark areas you have spotted. I have considered more work on it. I must say though now that I'm working on a back lit LCD screen (as to match the rest of the world) I have found that "a lot" of what I couldn't see is now visible. So much so I have had to quickly "fix" some things in older panoramas that I simply couldn't see until I viewed them with a LCD.

I personally still feel these LCD's give false lighting, but hey! It's what people now use and I have to play the same game.

Yes, it is really only 3 shots no nadir and no zenith. All patch and clone work. I did make 7 exposures of each shot and then fused them based on my IDR method.

The panorama is a long way form being perfect I know that. Fact is I can see a lot of things that could be better. Implementing the changes properly is the hard part.

The shots taken that weekend are all for our own posterity and memories. Though I did a paid job the same weekend.

I'm also working on a set panoramas I shot inside a car museum only one is processed so far. See it here

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by pixelator on May-05-2008 at 8:52am
View pixelator's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by pixelator Search   Visit pixelator's Homepage www   Quote pixelator Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts
Smooth,

Thanks for the links and a better understanding of the HDR and IDR difference. Like I was saying, this is debate is taking place on about every forum that I visit and just needed an explanation from the pro.

Thanks again,
P

Message posted by Peanut on June-20-2008 at 10:54pm
View Peanut's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Peanut Search   Quote Peanut Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Peanut
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
March-01-2008
46 Posts

Smooth,

I was just looking at your IDR image posted May 3, 2008 and am very impressed. The colors are really good/natural without that IDR/HDR look. So what's the secret? I cannot get anywhere near that quality although I do my best to reduce the obvious color issues in Photoshop.

Also why is there no movement with 7 exposures? I don't understand how that can be. I am a member of my local magic club and that's I trick I've never seem before.

Can I get a lesson?

Message posted by mskp on June-21-2008 at 3:08pm
View mskp's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by mskp Search   Quote mskp Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
mskp
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

September-14-2006
329 Posts

Hi, Peanut!

As Smooth said first:

"Yes, shot RAW as always."

...and then:

"Yes, it is really only 3 shots no nadir and no zenith. All patch and clone work. I did make 7 exposures of each shot and then fused them based on my IDR method."

I suppose that that is why there is no movement. He actually made 7 exposures ( in Camera Raw I guess) from each raw shot.

BTW, nice as always, Smooth!!

Regards, Martin

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register