Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Compact Flash speed? Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by steiner on June-05-2005 at 2:56pm
View steiner's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by steiner Search   Visit steiner's Homepage www   Quote steiner Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
steiner
Gold Member
Gold Member

May-21-2004
212 Posts

@Gen Lee

Many thanks for your in-depth feedback buddy - much appreciated.  I've been away on biz so appologies for the lateness of this reply.  I had come to the same conclusion as what you've said via trial and error.  YES!  Thanks you for confirming that it is indeed not possible to take that second shot before the camera has finished processing that first one (I was beginning to think my camera was faulty).  At least it cannot with my 8700 - perhaps it can with the higher spec DSLRs.

I've just been asked to do a series of VR's for a local concert hall.  I will certainly have to take the images at a lower res to avoid having the performers at two places in the same same pano.

Also get this. Nikon has informed me - after a great deal of hesitation - that it will make little difference to the performance of my 8700 in upgrading to a San Disk Ultra II from my original Lexar 4X CF card.  Apparently it all comes down to the inner workings and limitations of the 8700 itself.  Oh well - at least I've moved from a 256MB card to a 1Gig!

Cheers

Steiner

Message posted by phoenixrising on June-05-2005 at 3:11pm
View phoenixrising's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by phoenixrising Search   Quote phoenixrising Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
phoenixrising
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-16-2003
974 Posts

I did some crowd shots at a football match about 2 years ago with my cp 990 fce8 in fine jpg = 1.1MB per image... It was a nightmare even with this setup and comparativly fast writing speed of a couple seconds per exposure. Especially as I took 3-5 shots per direction for 3 shot stiching. I had to do plenty of cutting and pasting for this. Most of the guys I know who do crowd work tend to do multirow wideangle lens work due to movement and lighting issues with 36 shots for a sphere no uncommon. Obviously PW ain't the tool to use then.

Steiner... matter of interest... do the tiff shots compare favorably to the jpg??

-------------
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.

Message posted by steiner on June-05-2005 at 7:56pm
View steiner's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by steiner Search   Visit steiner's Homepage www   Quote steiner Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
steiner
Gold Member
Gold Member

May-21-2004
212 Posts

Hi Pheonix

I would say yes.  Even though the final pano will always get reduced to a small scale jpeg - it tends to benefit from coming from a high res TIF as opposed to a high quality JPG (especially when it comes to zooming in).

If you'd like to see crowd samples using the 'Fine' setting (high res jpeg) for my hemispheres, have a look at the 'Milton Keynes Gallery - Buckinghamshire: UK' panos on my website.  By no means perfect but the speed of this setting allowed me to get workable shots where as the TIF setting didn't (albeit with a good deal of post production work).

Cheers

Steiner 

Message posted by Gen. Lee on June-06-2005 at 7:16pm
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

Hey guys you are very welcome

I would like to make one correction to my earlier post.

When shooting RAW this is a totally different scenerio. RAW records ALL of the image data. Shooting other than RAW results in the camera "processing" the image and rendering a TIFF or JPG.

RAW is just data not actually an image. So If you shoot RAW as everyone here suggests, you can "develope" you images using a RAW converter program. Therefor you can choose to "develope" into your chosen format and quality. After the developing then it as I stated.

Gen. Lee.

Message posted by vrboy on June-07-2005 at 4:14am
View vrboy's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by vrboy Search   Visit vrboy's Homepage www   Quote vrboy Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
vrboy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Australia
August-09-2002
64 Posts

Hi All, I thought I would dig out  link to some old shots I took with a cp950 a couple of years back. I output these to fs qt movies beacause I like the shots, though the clarity is not there as with a dslr compilation I have had immense feedback from clients and sold quite a few vrs from using these as an example.
http://www.technosphere.com.au/demo/fsvr/mainpool.htm

Cant wait to get my sigma 8mm slr fisheye!

Cheers,
Craig

-------------
My Link

Message posted by 360texas on June-07-2005 at 8:54am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

I would think that you might go back 1 step before converting to QTVR format and tweak these abit for added sharpness.  The fisheye lens is naturally 'soft'.  By UNsharpening you can remove that soft feeling.

Great shot by the way.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by VT360 on July-29-2006 at 11:51am
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

found this today adn wanted to share with u guys

this website allows u to see the speed of ur camera with different flash and sd cards.

only shows canon and nikon top dog slr cameras.

has many popular cameras, in my case my Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II

but you can select any camera from the dropdown list

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7344#sd

Message posted by 360texas on July-29-2006 at 1:14pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Thanks that was interesting.

Also I noted that current digital camera Firmware updates can be checked.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register