Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: quality improvement for images Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Wide-Eyes on February-02-2006 at 8:03pm
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi Gen lee

Thank you for your great reply.

If I am understanding it correctly, seizing down is normally equal to loosing quality. We try to prevent loosing quality to seizing down in steps and harpen each time.

My next question is then. If I only need a pano at 450x350 pixels, would it not be better to stitch it at 2000x1000?? Then I do not have to size down and I can avoid loosing quality.

Best regards

Morten Andersen

- a newbie trying to improve

Message posted by fatchai on February-02-2006 at 9:27pm
View fatchai's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by fatchai Search   Visit fatchai's Homepage www   Quote fatchai Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
fatchai
Standard Member
Standard Member
Hong Kong
June-16-2005
24 Posts

hi Gen :

great reply as always !

fatchai

Message posted by phoenixrising on February-03-2006 at 5:40am
View phoenixrising's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by phoenixrising Search   Quote phoenixrising Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
phoenixrising
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-16-2003
974 Posts

Hi there Morten,

my workflow is very similar to Gen Lee with the execption that I always have a6000x3000 source image. Having done any repair/cleaning work, I'll use noise Ninja as my unsharp mask, clean up tool and save as my source image. Noise Ninja has proven it'self to be a very good tool. I'll also step down thereafter in a similar fashion mentioned previously.

My experience has been that I always get a better result from stepping down from a larger image then from useing a smaller image.

Best thing is to try both ways and see what works best for u.

PS: Great Posts here Gen Lee ;-)

-------------
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.

Message posted by Gen. Lee on February-04-2006 at 3:04pm
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

Thank all of you for your comments on my posts.

For my standard real estate tours I display at 568x400. I stitch the images at 4000x2000 and save as bmp.

I size down to 2500 x 1250 then save as jpeg at 65% and see what the file size is. It is usually around 600 to 700 kb. Sometimes is is less but this depends on the image itself.

I then try 2300 x 1150 or so and use 70% to 60 % to get a target file size of less than 600 kb.

When you stitch at 2000x1000 panoweaver is actually sizing the image for you when it stitches. I prefer to size the image my self  so that I can control what happens to the image myself

I can also have a acrhived 4000x 2000 image that I can come to later and resize for QTVR or even make real small for email stuff etc.

displaying at 450 x 350 is on the larger side of things so I would use at least a 3000x1500 image to start with.

I think its better to start with all the quality you can. Unless you are shooting for full screen QTVR then stitching at 4000x2000 will do for nearly all situations.

General Lee

Message posted by vilmer on October-25-2006 at 3:28pm
View vilmer's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by vilmer Search   Visit vilmer's Homepage www   Quote vilmer Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
vilmer
Gold Member
Gold Member

April-08-2006
218 Posts
*bump*

Here is an article with examples on how to compress and resize fullscreen qtvr files. (using pano2qtvr).

Message posted by smooth on October-25-2006 at 3:44pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Though this article has some good points it also is flawed because there is no mention on "how" the images were resized. Image quality can vary greatly when resized via different procedures. 

There is plenty of good to get out of it, but don't take it as being the holy grail.

I do note that GURL has removed certain things I requested/pointed out from his original offering.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by alexphotof11 on February-04-2010 at 12:28am
View alexphotof11's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by alexphotof11 Search   Visit alexphotof11's Homepage www   Quote alexphotof11 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
alexphotof11
Standard Member
Standard Member
Mexico
February-02-2010
6 Posts
Sorry guys for go round again with this but...

Is it the same thing with larger images, I mean, my panos are in original tif size 6320 X 3160. Do I drop down the size to 4000 X 2000 inmediatly or do I have to re-size first to an other size between that ??
Im all ready runing some tests but before I go to PW, just want to release maybe dumb question.

Thanks for your help, to all of you.

Alex

-------------
Happy Shots !!!

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register