Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: HDR or Flash for Interiors Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by smooth on April-29-2008 at 3:52am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Just a note for people ready this thread.

• Xfuse = Mac
  • Enfuse = PC

Hopefully will relieve confusion.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by Peanut on April-29-2008 at 10:05am
View Peanut's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Peanut Search   Quote Peanut Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Peanut
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
March-01-2008
46 Posts

HDR seems to have a major problem in relation to Panoweaver.

Each individual tonemapped photograph might have a different look. Photomatix requires some skill to create a natural looking picture and every image requires different Photomatix settings. With my 10.5 Nikon fisheye that could mean 8 tonemapped images that were each processed differently in Photomatix. To then blend the 8 tonemapped images with Panoweaver surely has to be problematic?

Flash seems an easier method provided one can evenly light a 180 degree of lens coverage using a powerful handheld flash? Is that the best way to go?

Message posted by realtor jerry on April-29-2008 at 11:14am
View realtor jerry's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by realtor jerry Search   Visit realtor jerry's Homepage www   Quote realtor jerry Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
realtor jerry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
April-22-2007
880 Posts
Peanut, I convert my Raw images to jpg and then "Batch" stitch all the images in Panoweaver. Then I take the stitched images into Photomatix for tonemapping. This seems to work best for me and much faster than tonemapping each one and then stiching. The only problem is you have to convert to jpg first (or shoot in jpg) in order to batch stitch. Hope this helps.

-------------
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!

Message posted by Vince on April-29-2008 at 1:29pm
View Vince's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Vince Search   Quote Vince Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Vince
Gold Member
Gold Member

August-13-2007
194 Posts
Peanut, I think the *best* way might be to combine the two, using a flash on either the normal, or the under photo. I have not tried it yet, but having used flash a lot, I am a little worried about it. When I use a flash I find I often have to change the flash orientation to evenly light the room, and sometimes it can take several shots to find the "sweet spot." It would be extremely easy to forget to delete one of these extra images, or to accidentally delete one of the no-flash HDR images in a series. Either could ruin you day.   Ultimately, I think BEST is defined not only by what works for you, but more importantly, what your clients are willing to pay for. (Unless, of course, you enjoy being a starving artist, and in that case, just do what you like.)

Message posted by Peanut on May-01-2008 at 6:06pm
View Peanut's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Peanut Search   Quote Peanut Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Peanut
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
March-01-2008
46 Posts

I really appreciate that input.  Thank you.

Has anyone got a HDR/Tonemapped/Panoweaver image I could view?

Message posted by Vince on May-01-2008 at 6:47pm
View Vince's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Vince Search   Quote Vince Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Vince
Gold Member
Gold Member

August-13-2007
194 Posts
I'm trying out some panos using a mix of flash and blending (as an aside, I am switching to the term "blended" because I think is more accurate then either HDR or IDR in this context) and getting some promising results. What were you wanting to see images of? The first tour in the link I posted was blended using XFuse, so I think it would count as an HDR image.

Message posted by realtor jerry on May-01-2008 at 7:58pm
View realtor jerry's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by realtor jerry Search   Visit realtor jerry's Homepage www   Quote realtor jerry Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
realtor jerry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
April-22-2007
880 Posts
Peanut, here is one I just did using Photomatix tonemapping/details enhancement. This is using the method I mentioned above.

-------------
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!

Message posted by Peanut on May-02-2008 at 2:11pm
Peanut
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
March-01-2008
46 Posts

That is a great image realtor jerry. I am not sure I fully understand your method.

I assume for an HDR image you take at least 3 different exposures for each image, and that applies for the 6 different camera rotations + up and down - say 8. So that is 24 exposures. Are you stitching the 8 overexposed images, then the 8 middle exposures and finally the 8 underexposed images to create 3 stitched images?  1 stitched overexposed, 1 stitched mid exposure and 1 stitched under exposured.  These 3 stitched images are then blended in Photomatix? Is that what you are doing? Or maybe you make 1 RAW exposure for each of the 8 images and then create 3 different exposed jpg's from that 1 RAW file?

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register