Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Canon 5D lens 16-35, 17-40, suggestions? Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by adavis2 on July-09-2009 at 7:15pm
View adavis2's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by adavis2 Search   Quote adavis2 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
adavis2
Standard Member
Standard Member

September-12-2005
46 Posts
I'm getting the 5D camera and looking at getting the 16-35 or 17-40 lens for wide angle still shooting. Will either of these work for stitching? If so how many shots around (if anyone knows) also, if this isn't an ideal setup.. suggestions for the 5D anyone?
I know this is a PW forum, and this setup might not be supported by PW, but I also use PTGUI when needed...

Thanks!

Message posted by smooth on July-10-2009 at 9:32am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Panoweaver 6.0 can handle the images shot with either of these lens.

Using a full size sensor Canon camera 5D. 5DMKII, 1Ds, 1DsMKII, 1DsMKIII.

The 16-35mm lens will require 6 shots 1 every 60 degrees at -30 tilt down, 6 shots 1 every 60 at +30 degrees tilt up, 1x Zenith +90 degrees and 1x Nadir -90 degrees. (@16mm) Total = 14 shots

The 17-40mm lens will require 8 shots 1 every 45 degrees at -30 degrees tilt down, 8 shots 1 every 45 degrees at +30 degrees tilt up, 1x Zenith +90 degrees and 1x Nadir -90 degrees. (@17mm) Total = 18 shots

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by adavis2 on July-16-2009 at 11:37am
View adavis2's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by adavis2 Search   Quote adavis2 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
adavis2
Standard Member
Standard Member

September-12-2005
46 Posts
Thanks smooth, I knew you'd have the answer ;p
I'm going to give it a shot, my only deal is that i've got the NN3 and can't do a full zenith shot... it sounds like a lot of shots/work, but since i've got this equipment now it can't hurt to try. (16-35mmL)

All that aside, wouldn't the 10mm be the ideal lens for a full frame?

Message posted by smooth on July-16-2009 at 1:35pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by adavis2 on July-16-2009
All that aside, wouldn't the 10mm be the ideal lens for a full frame?

The best lens "fisheye wise" for the Canon 5D Fullframe sensor is the 15mm Fisheye (6+TB).

The 10mm Fisheye would require the same amount of shots with less resolution (UNLESS) you have shaved/removed the lens sunshade/petal hood. If this is done, you can get away with (3+B) but again reducing the resolution even further.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by adavis2 on October-04-2009 at 7:43pm
adavis2
Standard Member
Standard Member

September-12-2005
46 Posts
smooth, is it possible to use the sigma 8mm on the canon 5d? If so, would you mind letting me know the needed shots/angles?
Also, if you've used the sigma8mm on 5d what kind of quality does it have?
Thanks!

Message posted by smooth on October-05-2009 at 12:51am
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
The answer is yes, 3 shots, 1 every 120 degrees. It is best to shoot with +5 degrees tilt. I have used the Sigma 8mm Fisheye on my 5D and now my 5DMKII you get good results but you are also wasting a lot of pixels to black because the image captured is a full round circle just like the Nikon Coolpix FC-E8, FC-E9 combo.

With a 5DMKII and Sigma 8mm expect maximum file sizes of around 7000x3500

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by 360texas on October-06-2009 at 11:03am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Use the hyperfocal distance on the focus to maximize sharpness

Goto http://www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html

key in 8mm for the Sigma 8mm Fisheye,  select Canon 5d  select meters

click [Calculate]

Look at bottom of column "f/x" find the hyperfocal distance for

f1.4 = 1.52 meters

f2 = 1.07

f2.8 = 0.76

f4 = 0.54

f5.6 =0.39

f8 = 0.27

f11 = 0.20

f16 = 0.14

f22 = 0.10

f32 = 0.07 meters

Use the appropriate meter (distance) value by looking at your focus ring on the lens.  Find 2 scales  1 for ft  feet,  1 for m meters.  Dial the focus ring value to the | index mark.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by adavis2 on October-07-2009 at 8:24pm
adavis2
Standard Member
Standard Member

September-12-2005
46 Posts
I'm not quite sure i'm following 100% Dave....
what would the "appropriate meter distance be" are you talking about how close somethign is that i need to focus on? (ie, interior versus outside shot)
Also, are we changing the aperature off the faithful f/8?
I'm very interested in understanding...
Thanks in advance

Message posted by 360texas on October-08-2009 at 1:24pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

When you look at the DOFmaster chart and say pick the f/8 column you will notice that the depth of field is

When you set your aperature to f/8 and
Distance to the object (meters) = 1 meter (or about 39 inches or about 3 feet)

Then your depth of field or zone where ALL is in focus is 

nearest to glass lens = .21 meters (1 m = 39 inches x .21 = 8.25 inches)
fartherest from lens = oxo or infiinity

This is rather a very deep depth of field.

In any event when you are using Canon 5d and Sigma 8mm and aperature F/8 you should set your focus ring to the hyperfocal distance of 0.27m  or 0.90 ft [in the chart change the Units from meters to feet and inches or feet then calculate again and look at the hyperfocal distance value.

If you are using a different camera then you need to specify it in the DOF chart.. and use those values.  The Canon 500d values are different than the 5d.

The point of this discussion is .. while you are onsite... you first want to check your lighting using the camera's on board light meter for best aperature and shutter speed.  [manually turn off the autofocus feature] THEN if you want to shoot alittle bit on the darker side.. you shoot say 1/3 or 1/2 stop lower to keep from blowing out the windows... then be sure to manually change focus ring  the hyperfocal distance on the lens in order to get maximum sharpness.

THEN of course - fix the chromatic abberation in Photoshop Adobe Camera Raw Converter.  That will align the red channel with the other Blue and Green channels.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by adavis2 on October-14-2009 at 9:46pm
adavis2
Standard Member
Standard Member

September-12-2005
46 Posts
awesome.. i think im understanding this hyperfocal distance deal... MUCH more useful than trying to use the "red dots" for focal points...
this will come in handy for landscape photos as well as standalone interior shots. The 16-35mm on the 5d is very sensative to Dof, just a tad off and not everything is in focus.

Thanks Dave!

btw smooth, have you thought about posting a table of how many shots/lens configurations, i see you've been asked that question numerous times.

Thanks again everyone!

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register