Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG lens quick question Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by wozzaj on October-06-2009 at 9:25am
View wozzaj's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by wozzaj Search   Quote wozzaj Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
wozzaj
Standard Member
Standard Member
Australia
June-15-2008
51 Posts

Hi all.

I have purchased a Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG lens through ebay and awaiting delivery. I am wondering if this lens will fit directly onto my EOS 450D or will I need an adaptor?

Thanks,

Woz.

Message posted by 360texas on October-06-2009 at 10:00am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Sigma manufacturers its 8mm fisheye specifically for Nikon, Canon or other.. you have to tell them which camera you are going to use the lens.

Please check you ordering documents for the term "mount type"  it should read for "Canon body type".  We have 2 Sigma 8's for Canon body  and they fit (on all Canon EF or EFS lens mounts) like our 350d,  500d, 20d, and 5d. 

If it says Nikon.. you have ordered the correct lens but for the wrong camera body.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by smooth on October-06-2009 at 10:33am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by wozzaj on October-06-2009
I have purchased a Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG lens through ebay and awaiting delivery. I am wondering if this lens will fit directly onto my EOS 450D or will I need an adaptor?

Clicks straight on Wozza no adapter needed,

Be sure to remove "both" the lens cap along with the lens "ring". Simply pull the lens ring forward and both the cap and ring remove together. If you only remove the lens cap you will reduce the FOV and confuse yourself as to why you do not get enough coverage and overlap like other people!

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by wozzaj on October-06-2009 at 9:16pm
View wozzaj's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by wozzaj Search   Quote wozzaj Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
wozzaj
Standard Member
Standard Member
Australia
June-15-2008
51 Posts

Thanks guys.

I ordered it from here: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Sigma-8mm-f-3-5-F3-5-EX-DG-Fisheye-Lens-IntWty-0544_W0QQitemZ200384059306QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN?hash=item2ea7d217aa&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177 and it makes no mention of any mount type hence the question. They do offer a returns policy etc and I have emailed them about it, but as yet - no reply!

Cheers again,
Woz.

Message posted by smooth on October-07-2009 at 2:07am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
While they make no mention of it the images shown are that of a Canon mount Sigma 8mm Fisheye. Normally Digital Rev contact you and ask what mount you would like if you haven't stated it with your order. Be sure you allow their email address through any spam filters you may be running.

Probably better to use internal ebay email.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by wozzaj on October-07-2009 at 3:24am
wozzaj
Standard Member
Standard Member
Australia
June-15-2008
51 Posts

How can you tell by looking at those images that it is for a canon?!?! Also, I did ask the question through ebay, but still they have not answered. I just hope I get the one advertised on ebay!!

Thanks,

Woz

Message posted by smooth on October-07-2009 at 4:06am
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

They look a lot different especially around the mount area.
Did you really buy this in Pounds Sterling? What was the converted price in AUD? $900+

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by wozzaj on October-07-2009 at 5:48am
wozzaj
Standard Member
Standard Member
Australia
June-15-2008
51 Posts

Well fingers crossed then that it is the Canon mount then! They certainly are a lot different, thanks for posting those images Smooth.

Believe it or not, it was the cheapest I could find, other than a company called Sighterz in HK, but they messed me around so much saying they had sent it and it never turned up, I got a refund and found this one. The Australian dollar is very strong right now and it worked out at $926.00 and that includes free shipping too! I checked a shed load of places and this was the cheapest one I could find. There were some slightly cheaper than the one I have chosen, but by the time they added the shipping cost it wasn't worth it. - I hope! I went back to DigitalRev as that is where I got my EOS 450D from cheaper than I could find elsewhere.

Will let you know. Really eager to get going with his and get into the world of virtual tours!!

Woz.

Message posted by 360texas on October-08-2009 at 9:58am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

The Nikon version has the AF/M controls through the body menu system.

The Sigma 8 for the Canon has an external automatic focus / manual focus [AF M] switch near the mount to the body.

I did a screen capture of the model being sold on their site.  I think I can see the switch.

I am also trying to post a couple of photo's but the forum apparantly is not letting me.

Ok so I will sort of show you where the switch is located.  Look on Smooths Canon image.  lower left edge find a small black square box protruding out to left.  Thats the switch.

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by wozzaj on October-08-2009 at 7:36pm
wozzaj
Standard Member
Standard Member
Australia
June-15-2008
51 Posts

Thanks Dave. 
As with a lot of companies on ebay, I know when they come to sell something new, they do a search for it on the net and find some advertising stuff on it and use it for themselves. However, in this instance as there are different models, I could see it quite easily not being the one advertised! Having said that, they are a photographic company so they should know, however, I purchased it and paid for it and they just sent it before I realised my mistake. I thought they would have asked which model I needed!! All I can do is wait and see for now!

Woz

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register