Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Stitching. Zenith - Nadir Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by vegasidol on July-02-2012 at 11:57pm
View vegasidol's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by vegasidol Search   Quote vegasidol Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
vegasidol
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
July-02-2012
5 Posts
I'm using Panoweaver 7.4 with wide angle, 10mm lens photos and I'm having trouble stitching my panos. I get the horizontal 360 just fine, but not the zenith and nadir shots to blend.

The manual doesn't address these shots very well. It shows putting the zenith/nadir shots in with the all of the other source images. When I do this, the images don't stitch and I get an orphaned photos warning. I try to do matching points on the z/n photos, but the points don't stay on the images when clicking onto another group.

I'm not supposed to use ceiling/floor, correct? That is just for adding logos to the z/n if needed?

The images are in ths zip file. I've use panorama programs before, so I'm not completely new to this, but this is the first time I've use z/n photos and Panoweaver, and I'm not finding much for troubleshooting this.

Appreciate your help!

Vira

Message posted by smooth on July-03-2012 at 12:17am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Your .zip is corrupted or an incomplete upload.

Please check and advise when corrected then I can take a look for you.

Regards, Smooth [8D]

Message posted by vegasidol on July-03-2012 at 10:53am
View vegasidol's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by vegasidol Search   Quote vegasidol Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
vegasidol
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
July-02-2012
5 Posts
Link fixed.

Thanks again. :)

Message posted by smooth on July-03-2012 at 12:36pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

I have played with your images and there is many reasons why they don't stitch well or even at all.

Firstly: Your images are shot in Aperture Priority mode. They vary in shutter speed and thus you get different exposures. You should be shooting in (M) manual mode and keeping the same Aperture and Shutter Speed for "all" images in the panorama set. You should also have a fixed White Balance and ISO setting. You must think of the complete panorama as (1) photo.

Secondly: Your images are somewhat out of focus and lacking defined features for stitching (especially the Nadir image). Again, these should be shot in a fully manual way. The lens must be fixed with no Autofocus enabled.

Thirdly: Your images are tilted I.E: not in the correct orientation. You must disable the "auto rotation" within your camera menu.

Lastly: You haven't shot enough images to cover the complete sphere. Meaning there are "holes" in your panorama. As shown in this sample.

Anyway, I hope this helps your in your panoramic journey.

Regards, Smooth [8D]

Message posted by vegasidol on July-03-2012 at 2:05pm
vegasidol
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
July-02-2012
5 Posts
Smooth, thank you.
I understand the imperfections in the way I shot the photos as far as exposure goes. I will make note of that for next time, but for the most part I can adjust the color correction post, so I'm not too worried about that aspect of the photos. Also orientation. All those issues I can adjust if needed. I will keep in mind to take off auto focus as well, and do manual focus.

I see that I haven't covered enough area with these shots, and I'm not exactly sure why, although I do have an idea.

Since the gaps are easy to fix, I can export the image and fill the gaps in for now and make note of this to correct in future shoots, but I'd like to get this set of panos stitched. It's a car event in another city that I can not reshoot.

My primary question though, is how to do the actual stitching in Panoweaver. Can you tell me what settings you used exactly? Especially to get the Zenith and Nadir in? I used:
Image type - Automatic - Wide/angle normal Hor for 80
Panorama type - spherical

Example.jpg
And the error I get with stitching:
Error.jpg

The z/n are getting orphaned. As I said in the first post. I tried putting matching points on the z/n, but the points don't stick when clicking to another photo set.

I just need a better understanding of the process to adjust the z/n stitching.

Thanks.

Message posted by smooth on July-08-2012 at 12:18pm
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

These particular images will never stitch well with Panoweaver.

As I have explained the quality is lacking and not optimal for an automatic stitcher like Panoweaver. The coverage incomplete and nothing is really in focus in the nadir image to add successful control points to. Basically if you ever need to add control points with Panoweaver you are already on the back foot. If you attempt to stitch the "samples" supplied by Easypano you will see these pretty much fall together.

Potentially I could get the images to stitch. But this would be very time consuming and very expensive for you. If you must have the images stitch no matter the cost I can take a look at them.

I know this is not the answer you want to hear. But I have been doing this for a very long time and stitched some horrendous images and have more than an idea about what is achievable vs time outlaid.

Maybe you will find somebody who will attempt your images for sport I.E: the challenge? But it will not be with an automatic style stitcher like Panoweaver.

If you would like me to take a look at another set of images you would like stitched please supply a link.

Regards, Smooth [8D]

Message posted by vegasidol on July-08-2012 at 11:32pm
vegasidol
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
July-02-2012
5 Posts
Wow. I didn't think they were that bad.

No, I don't need them done for me. This was something I'd like to do for my autoclub, but is not essential. I obviously want to learn how to do a better job for future shoots though.

I just had the impression you used panoweaver to do the example above (being a panoweaver forum and all). Can you tell me what manual stitching program you used? Any particular settings?

Message posted by smooth on July-09-2012 at 6:21am
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Your images are not that bad. But your nadir image in this particular set is not suitable for Panoweaver. That said, your image set as already stated not optimal as you have not locked the Shutter Speed.

The sample image I have shown is not actually stitched. I have just set some parameters and manually dragged the images into place using another piece of software. Using Panoweaver I got very similar results as you posted. 

I suggest you post a link to another set of images and I will take a look and see if I can be of any assistance.  

Regards, Smooth [8D]

Message posted by vegasidol on July-09-2012 at 12:44pm
vegasidol
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
July-02-2012
5 Posts
What is the name of the software you used?

Message posted by smooth on July-09-2012 at 1:32pm
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

PanoTools

Regards, Smooth [8D]

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register