Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Photography Equipments

Subject Topic: Equipment Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by swervin1979 on June-04-2011 at 7:53pm
View swervin1979's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by swervin1979 Search   Visit swervin1979's Homepage www   Quote swervin1979 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
swervin1979
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
June-04-2011
9 Posts
ahh ok, then I would rather get the D300, That D3100 seems like a step up from the d300. I may get tha 3100 with the sigma lense. Then I would need to look into a new tripod and rotator... fun fun

That Nikkor 10.5mm looks like it's about the same price as the sigma. How much better is the Nikkor?

Message posted by leescott on June-04-2011 at 8:13pm
View leescott's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by leescott Search   Visit leescott's Homepage www   Quote leescott Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
leescott
Gold Member
Gold Member
United States
November-10-2008
314 Posts
The D3100 is not a step up - the D300 is considered a Semi-Pro Camera
Here's link to compare them both D300 vs D3100

The Nikkor 10.5 is a far better lense that's why I shoot with it over the Sigma

-------------
Lee Scott - Nikon D3/D300/D5000 - |shaved Nikkor 10.5 mm| Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod /322RC2 Grip - Mrotator TCS |CS5 | PW7 & TW6.5 Pro
----
To err is human ... to not try is just plain lazy

Message posted by swervin1979 on June-04-2011 at 8:20pm
View swervin1979's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by swervin1979 Search   Visit swervin1979's Homepage www   Quote swervin1979 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
swervin1979
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
June-04-2011
9 Posts
ahh ok, thanks for the link.

Message posted by swervin1979 on June-04-2011 at 10:23pm
swervin1979
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
June-04-2011
9 Posts
Damn, this is alot more expensive than I was planning.

Message posted by smooth on June-05-2011 at 5:44am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

The Nikon D3100 replaces the D3000 as Nikon's entry level DSLR (Bottom of the range).

It's major disadvantage is that it doesn't have (AEB) Auto Exposure Bracketing.

The D5100 the replacement for the D5000 does have bracketing albeit limited when compared to higher Nikon models. The D5100 (AEB) is limited to 2ev 3 frames the same as the D5000 the model before it.

Once you jump up to the D7000 you get (AEB) 5 3 frames. The Semi Pro Nikon versions like the D300, D300s are 5 far superior with 2, 3, 5, 7 frames.

For HDR work (AEB) is a requirement and most desirable.

Based on what I have read in this thread about your requirements your best and cheapest entry will be the Nikon D5000 (if you can find one) or the D5100 with a Samyang 8mm Fisheye. The Samyang is sold under many different names, some are Bower, Rokinon, Falcon, Polar, Optics Pro, Vivitar, among others. All are the exact same lens optically. The Vivitar differs in appearance somewhat but is still the same Samyang lens.

This combination is well suited to the Nodal Ninja 3 panohead or Agnos MrotatorU. Panoheads above this are an overkill to your needs. Panoheads under these are less than recommended.

Regards, Smooth [8D]  

Message posted by leescott on June-05-2011 at 7:11am
View leescott's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by leescott Search   Visit leescott's Homepage www   Quote leescott Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
leescott
Gold Member
Gold Member
United States
November-10-2008
314 Posts
Look in the equipment section there is some things for sale there might get a better price there.

There was a D300s for sale but that was in Dec 2010 don't know if it was sold.
There's always ebay & Craigslist as an option (but that's your call there)
Good luck and see you on the forums

-------------
Lee Scott - Nikon D3/D300/D5000 - |shaved Nikkor 10.5 mm| Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod /322RC2 Grip - Mrotator TCS |CS5 | PW7 & TW6.5 Pro
----
To err is human ... to not try is just plain lazy

Message posted by smooth on June-05-2011 at 7:31am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

It is also worth mentioning that the Sigma 8mm and Samyang 8mm are NOT the same type of lens.

The Sigma comes under a "drum" type lens and will require a minimum of 4 rotational shots.

The Samyang is a Stereographic type projection, more like a "fullframe" and will require 4 rotational shots plus a separate Zenith/Up shot.

You will get a slightly larger maximum panorama image using the Samyang but this lens is totally manual and does NOT communicate with the camera. Not that this is an issue if you understand cameras/lenses and photography, as all your settings should be manual anyway.

It is a big step up from the Coolpix to DSLR and will be quite a learning curve.

Regards, Smooth [8D]

Message posted by swervin1979 on June-08-2011 at 1:26am
swervin1979
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
June-04-2011
9 Posts
My girlfriend has a Nikon D40 camera now. Would the Nikkor 10.5 mm or Sigma 8mm lense work on it? I want to get the lense now and shoot some tours with her camera, and in a month or so I will be buying the Nikon D7000 in which I will the use the Nikkor or Sigma 8mm lense on that.

Message posted by smooth on June-08-2011 at 1:35am
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

The Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye will attach and work with the Nikon D40 no problem. The limitation are with the camera itself. You certainly can use this combination to learn and progress.

You can move to the D7000 and use the same Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye lens with all the benefits of the better camera body.

Understand though, the Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye will require you shoot 6 rotational shots + 1x Zenith/Up shot and 1x Nadir/Down shot (if desired). Making it 6+2 in fullframe stitching mode.

The best shooting pattern with this set up is 6x rotational shots with -10 degrees tilt down. 1x Zenith shot at +65/+70 degrees tilt up and then the offset Nadir/Down shot.

You also can use the Samyang on either.

The shooting procedure will be 4x rotational shots at -5 degrees tilt down, + 1x Zenith/Up shot at +70 degrees tilt up and 1x offset Nadir shot to cover the tripod position. Making it 4+2 in Fullframe stitching mode.

Regards, Smooth [8D]

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register